31

C A R T E R | first dates

I was taking Sophia on our first official date the day after Thanksgiving. I had asked Chloe to help me plan it and she brought Maddie along because Maddie knows Sophia better than the rest of us.

After about three hours of planning they finally had the perfect, most magical date set up. Those were Maddie's words not mine.

As I'm getting ready to leave, I walk into the kitchen and Nat and mi mama are sitting at the counter. "Where are you off to?" Nat looks at me with her eyebrows raised. I sigh, they're both going to freak out and then I'm going to be late. 

"Date." That was all I needed to say before they both shot up out of their chairs.

"Oh my god with who?" Nat looks way too excited. "Sophia." I nervously run my hand through my hair. "I have to go." I say but they follow me outside. Seriously? I miss when I wasn't the only guy in the house.

"Carter, be respectful and kind. Otherwise estás en problemas." My mom scolds. I nod, "I know." I give her a kiss on the cheek before hopping onto my bike.

"Have fun, te quiero." My mom yells from the porch as my bike roars to life. I speed away, my head full of thoughts. 

What if I mess up? What if she hates me afterwards? What if I say the wrong thing? We actually have really good conversations but now that we are slowly becoming a thing, what if everything is really different.

I pull up to her large house and knock on the door. Liam answers with a large smile on his face. "Carter, nice to see you." He continues beaming. Weird. I give him a confused look and nod questioningly.

Just then a woman who looks like the older versions of all the Carrington children walks in the room. Sophia's mother I'm assuming. Oh, that's why he's being extra nice.

"You must be Carter, I'm Christina. It's lovely to meet you." I expect her to stick her hand out but she draws me into a hug. Paige pops up behind her and mouths, "Keep smiling." And demonstrates an exaggerated smile. "Nice to meet you too." I finally say.

Maddie and Kia run down the stairs. "Hey Carter." Maddie exclaims. "Sorry she's taking so long, we had to change her outfit because we forgot that you guys are taking the motorcycle. Claire is helping her finish up." Kia laughs and I see Sophia's mom's eyes practically fall out of her head. Yeah, the motorcycle is usually a game changer for most parents.

Paige walks up beside me, her height reaching just above my waist. I turn to her, "How did I do?" I shove my hands in my pockets, nervously looking down at the giddy 13 year old who is smiling like an idiot at my question. 

"You're doing okay, so far." She smirks at my questioning look. "Calm down, you're fine." She adds but it isn't much help.

She looks at Liam and he just keeps smiling and shaking his head. "Son of a bitch Claire, I can't wear that top, it will suck the life out of me." I chuckle when I hear Sophia yelling from her room. It's nice knowing that I'm not the only one who is nervous.

"I can't go out there, I look like a rat." Sophia's voice grows louder and I hear struggle coming from the other side of her door. 

"Go or I'm dragging you by your ears or worse your hair." Claire fires back. Maddie and Kia can barely contain their laughter. Paige laughs loudly and even her mom is holding back a chuckle.

The door bursts open and Claire is shoving Sophia out of her room. My lips curl up into a smile. She freezes when she sees me. "Hey you." I walk over to the stairs and lean against the railing.