35

C A R T E R | free time

9 days.

It's been 9 days since anyone has heard from Sophia. She didn't go to our last week of school before Christmas break and then the weather became cold. It was pouring rain everyday. I didn't care. I didn't really talk to anyone. Heartbroken can't even begin to describe what I'm feeling.

Our friends would check on me everyday but I just wanted her. I wanted to hear her laugh again, see her bright smile, feel her lips on mine. She's not answering anyone's calls or texts. Maddie, Claire, and Kia go by her house everyday. I just sit there on my bike or in the car waiting to see her face again.

All day, when I'm not at school I sit across the street from her house. Then we went on Christmas break, but no one is exactly in the Christmas spirit.

"Carter, come on this isn't healthy." Chloe says on Day 10. "You look like shit." Hunter says trying to lighten the mood but shuts up when I glare at him. He's right. My eyes are red, my hair is a mess, I don't really care about what I'm wearing, I don't eat, I don't sleep. My grades are falling.

I can't do anything knowing that Sophia is hurting and I can't help her. That same day I took my dad's old car to her house instead of my bike. As I'm sitting on the curb waiting for something, anything. I see Paige open their side gate, she's taking out the trash.

She doesn't look too good either. Her eyes are heavy and her hair is a mess. She groans when she sees me. Ever since we got on break no one has really left or entered their house in almost two weeks, but I'm sure they've seen me.

"Carter, just go home." She yells, exhausted. "Please if you could just tell me how she is?" I plead, stopping her.

"How do you think she is? Her worst nightmare has been realized. And to be honest I don't know." She sighs which confuses me. "What do you mean?"

"She's locked herself in her room, she hasn't eaten, she sleeps all day and the only reason that I know she's still alive is because when she doesn't sleep she cries. Liam and I gave up on trying to get her out of there last week."

That breaks my heart even more. Just the thought of her suffering alone all day makes me want to die. "Can I please see her?"

She deadpans, "What part of she's locked herself in her room do you not understand?" It's weird hearing her be sarcastic during such a dark moment. "Paige-"

"Look Carter you know that I like you and I think you're really good for her but the best thing any of us can do for her right now is leave her alone." She says and then begins to walk away.

"Will you just tell her I'm sorry and that I don't think any different of her." I yell out and she turns around. She considers it for a second and then replies.

"I'll try, and when she's ready to talk, you'll be the first to know. I promise." A feeling of hope goes through me. Paige's last words were slightly comforting. "Now please go home and get some sleep, you look like you need it." A small smile creeps up my face, I nod and turn around to my car.

"And Carter?" I stop again and turn back to Paige, there's an odd light in her eyes that wasn't there earlier. "Thank you for saving her. Even if she's lost right now." She smiles, gratefully. I think back to the night when we got together.

"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." I whispered to her.

"Carter, we saved each other."

Her sweet voice echoes in my head. I barely notice the tears pouring out of my eyes. God I just miss her so much. 

I finally went home. "Hey Carter, ¿cómo estás?" Mi mama asks when I walk in the door. I haven't really been around much and I haven't said anything. My mom is totally clueless as to what is going on.