14. Emergency

Meera got ready for work and went downstairs .

"Good morning,Papa", She greeted him and gave him a peck on his cheek.

"Good morning,Princess", He replied by patting her head.

"Where's Disco, Maa?", Meera asked looking here and there.

"He is outside playing with those kids nearby", Maa replied.

The doorbell rang and Meera went to open the door.

"Good morning Didi, I took Disco for a walk across the street", Said Ramesh, Meera's neighbour.

"Thank you Ramesh".

Disco sprang inside happily towards Meera.

"Disco!! My baby! You look sooo handsome today.You must be tired. Come, I will give you some biscuits", Meera stroked Disco's head and fed him with biscuits.

 Come, I will give you some biscuits", Meera stroked Disco's head and fed him with biscuits

[This is Disco, Meera's pet]

"Meera, Leave him at the Ritu Aunty's house on your way. Bua doesn't like him inside the house", Papa instructed Meera.

"Why does poor Disco have to stay at a neighbouring house if Bua hates dogs?This is his home. Anyway how can somebody hate dogs? Look at them how cutee..", Meera was speaking when Maa cut her off saying," Just do what Papa says! Disco will be fine anyway . He gets along well with Ramesh".

" Okay finee! Come Disco!", Meera walked out taking Disco along with her.

"Come early today before 6. Don't be late, Bua will be sad otherwise", Maa called out from behind.

Meera nodded and left Disco at Ramesh's house. She caressed his soft,silky fur and left.

"One more reason to hate my Buaji", Meera murmured.

It was an unusually busy day at the hospital.All the wards were filled and the ORs were engaged always. Meera assisted Dr. Mathur on a lobectomy and took rounds on his behalf as he had to leave early for the day.

It was 5:30 , when Meera's shift ended. Inside the locker room,

"Pretty busy day, huh?" asked Cristina.

"Yeahh. I am exhausted!",said Sid.

"Bye guys, I have to leave early. My super-nice Bua is waiting at home", Meera said sarcastically.

"Super-nice Bua? That sounds exciting", Sid said with a laugh.

"Yeahh Veryy exciting", Meera laughed.

"I have to scrub in with Daksh for a surgery now", Cristina said with a smile.

"Daksh? Who is Daksh? You were under Doraemon's service today, Right?", Sid asked.

"Grow up kids!! His name is Dr. Daksh Mehra. Stop calling him like that", Cristina glared at Sid.

"Reallyy? Says the person who named him liked that in the first place", Meera said.

"Now I am taking it back,okay? Don't  call him like that from now on", Cristina told sternly and walked off.

"What is wrong with her?", Meera asked Sid.

"Leave all that. You didn't reply to my message yesterday,Meera", Sid asked with a serious face.

"Sid, I can't... This is too much for me. You have to stop sending me all these flirty messages!", Meera spoke.

Sidharth didn't reply for a while. He saw Meera walking up to opening the door and said,"Sorry,I was out of line. I should respect your feelings. So can we start afresh?"

Meera nodded with a smile.

Sid extended his hands asking,"Friends?".

They shook their hands and Meera replied,"Always!!".

Suddenly a nurse came running inside and spoke in a hurry," Dr.Verma, We need you in the OR now. There has been an accident and Dr.Mathur is not on call today".

"Are there no other senior doctors available?", Meera asked with concern.

"No ma'am. It's an emergency", the nurse replied.

Meera took out her phone to call and inform her mother that she will not be able to make it at 6.

But her phone was switched off. She decided not to waste any more time in calling and scurried towards the OR for surgery.

When the surgery was done, It was already 9. Meera was ecstatic that she performed her first solo surgery and gladly it was a success.

She checked on her patient once again before leaving the hospital.

Sid offered to drop her home as it was getting late and she gladly accepted the offer from her friend.

She got off his car and walked inside her house to find her mother standing on the balcony looking anxious and fidgeting with her phone.