Chapter 3

I opened the shop, a week after the Solstice ball. I swept the snow from my front step before going in. The baker's wife, Lina Muro, came in with their eldest daughter, Brittney. "Good morning Harmony," Lina said with a smile. "Good morning," I said, returning her smile. "What brings you ladies in to see me today?" "It's official," Lina said with a bright smile. "Brittney is finally going to mate with Symon." "Congratulations Brittney," I said with a smile. "May the Gods bless you with an eternal and happy mating." 

Brittney smiled and nodded, "Thank you Harmony." Lina then held out a small pouch, "For her whole life, Misal and I have saved to ensure she had the perfect mating gown. We would be honored if you'd make it for us." A mating gown was a white dress you wore during the vow exchange ceremony in front of your loved ones. Being involved in any part of it, was incredibly important. "You've done such good things for our children as they grew up. Had you not given them coats every year when we couldn't afford it, I don't think any of them would have lived to see puberty. It is because of your generosity that our daughter lived to meet her mate and find such happiness." As Lina spoke, her eyes filled with tears, and I couldn't help it as my own eyes filled with tears. 

"When is the ceremony," I asked them. "It's in the middle of Spring," Brittney answered. I nodded, "I would be honored to make your gown." I then took her measurements and we discussed things she wanted. When they left, I sat at my counter, sketchbook in hand. Kya then came in. "Good morning Harmony darling," Kya greeted, box in hand. "I brought us some breakfast." I smiled, as she opened it, "No King today?" "He got stuck in meetings today. When I told him I was coming to have breakfast with you today, he was rather jealous," she told me. I got another stool from my work room for her to sit on. 

"So what are you working on," Kya asked me curiously as she peeked at my sketchbook. "I was hired to make a mating gown today," I told her. "Oh how precious," she said with a smile. I nodded, "The baker's oldest daughter met her mate. He was courting her for a year. They're a young couple, and I wish them the best." "After we eat, would you mind walking with me around the slums," she asked me curiously. 

I nodded, "I'd love too." "Our crew is working so hard to improve the slums for the people, but the weather is making it rather difficult," she said with a sigh. "Every day we kick ourselves for neglecting this part of our kingdom. We just got so caught up with everything else, we weren't able to meet with our people or go around and see how our kingdom was fairing until recently." "It's not your fault," I said to Kya. She nodded, "But it is. Had we paid better attention, then we would have given the slums the attention it needed long ago." 

She then looked at me, "Did you grow up in the slums?" I shook my head, "No. I was a refugee from the Hell Flame that destroyed the Torto Kingdom. It was when I came here in my forties and met my mentor who taught me how to be a seamstress. When she passed away, she left me the shop." "Oh darling," Kya whispered and I waved a hand. "I have long since grieved and moved past it all," I told her. 

Hell Flame was a special demon fire that appeared randomly many years ago. It went about destroying smaller kingdoms. Eventually the larger kingdoms banded together their magic users and put it out once and for all. 

After we ate, I put a sign in my door and we left. "So what can you tell me about this area," Kya asked me as we walked, our arms linked together. "The rain hits us harder than it does the rest of the city," I told her. "The kingdom is essentially one massive hill so when it rains and when the snow melts, the water just runs all the way down to us, and it sits here." I showed her one of the buildings that the supports were rotting due to the water that has sat there. "Many try to shovel it away to protect their homes, but there are some, like those who are elderly, can't get out and do it and because we're so busy protecting our homes and businesses, no one is able to help them. If something isn't done to divert the runoff then eventually the work you're having done to improve this place will be for nothing."