Chapter One

School sucked

School sucked. I always hated it because they never really taught me anything useful. History was about a bunch of old dead people that nobody really cared about. I didn't care about it and neither did I care for the other classes, maybe gym was okay because I was able to show off my athletic abilities. Basketball was my favorite sport and although I wasn't tall enough to really go pro, I enjoyed dribbling and passing the ball around. I never failed a shot at the basket either.

"Hey Natalie, good shot! Maybe you could try out for the team this year," my gym teacher, Mr. Carter said. I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, maybe," I replied. My friend Tamara glanced at me and I walked to her. She was in her gym clothes, all sweaty and heaving because she barely did any exercise at all. Tamara wasn't the athletic type. She wasn't fat, but she was a little overweight. Her curls were all in a bunch placed in a bun. She hated gym class.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey Natalie," she replied to me. Her ball slipped from her hand and it rolled over the floor passing two girls who were doing dribbling exercises and it continued its journey towards the gym's entrance. A young boy planted his foot on the ball. I didn't know who he was, but he was hot, athletic, and had a strong jawline. A few of his blond hairs fell on his forehead as if he had a long fringe and his smile was perfect. He snatched the ball from his foot and walked towards my friend. I glanced quickly at my friend Tamara and then I looked at him wondering if my friend found him as hot as I did.

"Here," he said giving her the basketball. Tamara giggled.

"Thank you," she said and blushed. It was obvious. She found him hot.

"Sure," he remarked with a dazzling smile. I tried to avoid staring at him, but he was so surreal, I just couldn't believe my eyes. His hair, his eyes, his cheekbones, everything about him was so perfect that I felt my knees buckle. Was he from Earth?

"My name's Brad," he said extending his hand towards my friend and she immediately shook it and smiled.

"I'm Tamara and this is Natalie," she said presenting me. For a moment I froze and felt my heart beat fast. Then, I wiped my sweaty hand on my gym shorts and shook his hand. It was firm and strong. My small hand fit in well with his.

"Hi," he smiled at me. I tried not to stare at him. His hair was so beautiful, his teeth so pearly white and he looked so awesome in his leather jacket... stop staring, I told myself. I didn't know if he found me pretty, but I doubted it because I had a messy ponytail with a red tomato face and I was a complete mess in my gym clothes. I probably wasn't appealing to guys like him anyway. He would probably be Gina's boyfriend soon enough. Gina was the prettiest girl at school and many guys had tried to date her. I was sure that he would succeed, where others had failed.

"Hey, you? What are you doing here?" My gym teacher Mr. Carter asked. He was an older man with straight, long legs and wore a bright, red cap.

"I'm new here and I was lost. I didn't mean to show up-"

"Do you have your gym clothes with you?" Mr. Carter asked him.

"Umm... well see I didn't know-"

"Rob, show him the locker room. There are a few extra gym clothes he can wear," Mr. Carter said.

"Yes, Mr. Carter. Follow me," Rob said. Rob was the most popular guy in school. He was also the cutest guy in the entire school and he liked to have a short, trimmed, spiky haircut. He had jet black hair and blue eyes. He was tall, athletic, and was a drummer. I never liked him though and now in my personal opinion, there was a cuter guy in school.

"Alright," Brad replied.

"And don't be late to my class again. I don't like tardiness," Mr. Carter said. Brad followed Rob Kidder who was the captain of the basketball team. I had no idea what went on in the locker room, but I was counting the minutes for Brad to come out of there. I dribbled and passed the ball and when Brad finally came out in his gym clothes it was my time to shoot in the hoop, but I failed magnanimously.

"I know you can do better than that," Mr. Carter said.

"Thanks, man," Brad said to Rob. It looked like they both got along just fine. Brad looked at Mr. Carter. He seemed to be waiting for something.

"Well, don't stand there, go pick a team," Mr. Carter said crossing his arms.

"What team?" Brad asked.

"Hey, you can come with us," I said to him.

"They may be a good team, but after gym class, they're usually the loser squad," said Gina and smiled. Brad didn't seem amused and he joined our team.

"Thanks for the invitation," he told me. Why did I invite him to our team, God because he was so hot! I tried hard to hide it though, I didn't want him to freak out on me.

"No problem," I uttered and smiled. Brad jogged and caught the ball as soon as it was his turn to shoot in the hoop. He dribbled a few times as he stood in place and then he threw it. The ball fell nicely in the hoop. Then, Tamara grabbed the ball and walked towards the center. It was her turn to practice with the ball. She barely dribbled.

"Nice shot," I whispered to him.

"Thanks," he remarked. I looked at my best friend at the center trying to throw the ball in the basket, but she failed miserably. The ball hit the frame of the basket and bounced all the way to the end of the court. James ran to go catch the ball before it hit someone from the other team. Tamara embarrassingly walked next to me.

"It's not a big deal," I told her.

"It's easy for you to say, you won't be flunking gym class," she remarked. Tamara walked out of the court.

"Where are you going, Miss Woods?" Mr. Carter asked her.

"Drink water," she replied in a mood and walked towards the locker room. The teacher was about to go after her, but Preston slipped and hit his buttocks on the basketball court. Mr. Carter attended to him instead. The bell rang and the class was over. Soon everyone was returning to the locker room to change. I glanced at Brad who stopped and looked at me before I entered the girl's locker room. I wondered what he was thinking, but I was clueless.