Chapter Twenty

My phone finally rang, but when I checked it, it wasn't Brad, it was my mom

My phone finally rang, but when I checked it, it wasn't Brad, it was my mom. I replied.

"Hello?"

"Thank God Natalie. Where are you?" She asked me. She seemed panicked.

"I'm coming home with Tamara, why?" I said.

"Thank Goodness. One of your teachers called and told me that there was a bear attack. One of your teachers was wounded," she said.

"Mom, that was no bear," I replied.

"Well, whatever it was, I'm glad you're okay. I was scared sick. I was going to pick you up right now," she said.

"Well I'm fine and I'm coming home soon," I said.

When I arrived home mom was outside with the lights on waiting for me. She was wearing a chocolate brown sweater and a beige Capri.

"Mom," I said and she ran to me and hugged me.

"Oh sweetheart. I'm so sorry," she said hugging me. I so wanted to cry, but not for the animal thing. I wanted to cry for the Brad thing. My mom then let me go and saw into the van.

"Hey Tamara, Preston, are you guys alright?" She asked them.

"Yes Mrs. Connor," Tamara replied.

"But where's Brad?" She asked them. Then she looked at me and I tried very hard not to cry. I couldn't reply.

"Oh, he wasn't feeling well and left early," Tamara said quick. I thanked her so much in my brain for speaking when I couldn't do it.

"Well, you better go home. Your parents must be worried about you," mom said.

"Yes Mrs. Connor, goodnight," Tamara replied. Preston waved goodbye. We entered our home and I couldn't find solace in what had happened.

"Do you want something to eat?" she asked me. I shook my head.

"I'm going to bed mom. I'm tired," I said and stared at the floor. I didn't have any energy left.

"Okay sweetie. I love you," she said. I knew my mom and she was very worried. I nodded and headed for my room. I looked into the mirror, at my glamorous dress and apparell and then I dropped on my knees and started to cry. Why did he do this to me? Out of all of the nights to dump a girl, why did he do this on the Halloween party? I covered my face with my hands. I didn't want to see myself and I knew that my face would be all messy with a run down mascara. I heard a howl nearby my house. Was that Cameo? I didn't think so. Cameo slept inside the house. I opened my curtain and saw a shadow of a creature nearby one of our oak trees. It wasn't very clear because the leaves hid it, but I could tell that there was a presence there. I started to search for my old bird watching binoculars from one of my summer camps. I knew that I still had it somewhere. I found them in my closet. They were a bit small for me now, but they were still useful. I went back to my window and looked through my binoculars. It was a strange creature alright, covered in white fur. I could see part of it's feet and leg. I couldn't really see the rest.

"What is that thing?" I asked myself. Then the foot was gone.

I took off my dress and hung it in the closet. Then I took a long, warm bath with vanilla scented bathwash and laid on the tub trying to wash away my sadness and stress. As I did I thought about the creature that had been nearby my house. I was so confused.

"I don't understand. I thought it had black fur. Did it change color or was my vision messed up? Maybe the binoculars weren't right and what was that thing? It had red eyes, a strange snout, it most definitely wasn't a bear and it wasn't a gorilla either, although it sort of did have the look. What a terrible night. Worst than last year's holiday night when my mom caught me smoking weed. I wished I had an ounce with me. Marihuana helped me with my stress and besides, it was already medically legal, so... I didn't see what the big deal was. Anyway, water was good too, specially if it was warm and deliciously scented. It was called Aromatherapy and aromatherapy also consisted in the use of incense and or scented candles. I didn't have the energy though. My bathwash was enough for me. I closed my eyes and then heard a hard banging at the door. It was my mother.

"Natalie, there's someone here to see you," my mom said. My eyes popped wide open. Was it Brad.

"I'm going," I told her and jumped out of the tub and got dressed as fast as I could. Then, I ran downstairs hoping to see Brad, but instead, it was Brad's parents.