Chapter Five

I reached my supposedly luxurious house and maybe it was because it was big and it had a lot of space

I reached my supposedly luxurious house and maybe it was because it was big and it had a lot of space. My mother rarely placed any family pictures in the house, the decor was usually strange, abstract expressionistic art that I seriously despised. I always thought that abstract expressionism could be done by a kindergartener with a set of crayons and tempera paints. I preferred artistic realism or photorealism where I could actually see, in my opinion, a beautiful imitation of life.

A round black coffee table was at the center of our living room with a single red orchid. My mother was a minimalist when it came to decor. There wasn't a single side table. I sat down on the chocolate sofa and allowed my body to drown in it's light, softness.

"Natalie?" I heard my mom from the kitchen. She paced towards me as I relaxed.

"Yeah?"

"Who was that?"

"Who was who?" I asked her.

"I saw a boy in a motorcycle, who is that?" She asked me.

"His name is Brad Wolfram, he's new in school," I replied.

"He looks like trouble Natalie and I don't want you running around with troublemakers," mom said. I gazed at her middle-aged face and bob hairdo. I was so sick of her nagging.

"Mom, he just gave me a ride," I replied and got out of the sofa. I grabbed my backpack and walked to my room. My mom would continue to drag this conversation on and on if I stayed here.

"It's enough I had to deal with Lucy's shit, now you too. Let me see your backpack," she said. Lucy was our next-door neighbor. She was the one who had introduced me to pot. Now she was gone to college though and I hadn't seen her since last summer.

"What?"

"Your backpack. Let me see it," she said.

"Why?"

"Because I want to see if you're carrying drugs in there."

"Oh, for god's sake," I replied.

"Let me see it," she insisted. I gave her my backpack and watched how she ravishly searched in my bag. She frowned at me and handed me my backpack back.

"Satisfied?" I asked. My mother shook her head in disapproval.

"I don't understand you Natalie. Your father and I work very hard to give you everything. Why do you have to do drugs?" She asked me. So, was I going to be punished for life for one silly mistake? I couldn't take this anymore. I was heading for the stairs.

"I don't do drugs mom, I just tried some pot a few times, it's not the end of the world. I'm not addicted to it and besides I've quit it. I want to join the basketball team," I replied.

"The basketball team? But you don't even like basketball," she said. She really didn't know me at all.

"You sure know me. It really shows," I replied.