Chapter 10

I anxiously walk between the two men while nervously holding my gun tightly. Fear is something I have learns through these four years but encountering fears itself is somehow new in my vocabulary.

"Scared?" Code startles me.

"Really am..." I honestly admit while keeping my pace in a careful and calculated mode.

"It's okay babe...I'm here." Jim nervously answered at the front. "I'm your hero..." he timidly laughs.

I just can't help being amuse with Jim in this situation, that's how good he can be to the people he cared.

Walking in a bright daylight in this rainy situation doesn't change the fact we are safe. The rain may affect the infected movement but they still have the strong sense of being the predator, the rain cannot stop them to attack people.

"Careful..." code suddenly whispers while holding me at the back, "left side..." he warns Jim in front through the small communication device attaches at our protective gear.

At the left side of us, a bunch of angry infected destroying things and fighting each other can be located.

"Walk in shadow..." Jim order and the three of us step out from the open field in unison and hid in the shadow of a broken vehicle.

But I suddenly lost focus when I saw an infected kid that looks like Nica, I trip and  noise was created.

One infected saw me and start to roar, calling the attention of the others.

Code and Jim started to move into a protective mode for me.

"RUN!" Jim shouted as the infected started to run to us.

We run as fast as we can, luckily due to the rain, we are at an advantage.

"Did we lose them..." I whispered to both of them, catching my breath beside an abandoned ruin on the roadside.

"I hope so." Jim said while scanning around the cracks of the ruins.

But a hand reach out to Jim and started to pull him to dark, luckily code is in an alert mode and shove the infected as fast as it cans and shot it in the head, savings Jim.

The blood from the shot covers my suit , slowly sinking me  to the danger of my mission to save nica.

This was my first time to encounter an infected so near, what more to see the half dead to be dead. It is still hard to registered the truth of everything.

"Thank you..." Jim said and turns to me. "Are you okay joy?" stabilizing me.

"Welcome to reality..."Code said coldly while checking the area.

"We need to crawl..." He continued as he noticed a lot of it roaming around the perimeters.

We start to kneel and lay at our stomach and crawl below every car, hiding from the eye of the predator. We crawled until we arrived at the big tree out of the road.

"I hope we are close..." Jim said tiredly.

"Close..." I blurt. "We are close..." I continue pointing at a rundown cottage in front of us.

"problem..." Jim answered when he turn and saw those infected roaming in front of the store but before Jim finished counting the numbers of it, one by one they fall down.

"Done...now we need to go there faster before the other will notice us." Code said while cleaning his silencer.

"Where did you get that...?" Jim asked while the three of us run to the store.

"Talk later..." I said as we arrived inside, "around here...help me." I said while slowly walk to the overturned cashier counter. "It's hidden below this..." I continued while picking up the debris of the ruins woods from the counter.

At the help of each other, we found the hidden storage beneath the counter. Everything is still intact but not as much as we expected, maybe new stock did not arrived due to the epidemic or maybe my uncle just take some of it.

Whatever the reason is, there is much protections until we reach City D.

"Let me help you..." code said while taking the heavy guns beneath. " Go and pick the sleeping gas at that side..." he instructed.

"30 minutes up code...we need to go..." Jim ordered. " Joy stick with the plan..." he warn me. " wait for us here , stay guarded and don't fight if not necessary....Don't go out if it's not even important!." He reminds me.

I nod.

"Jim..." I called "If I'm not here...please continue to save Nica..." I continued while tightly hold his arms.

"Stay here and wait for us Joy." He answered. "It's your promise with her not me." He continued and walk down from the porch out to the piled of broken cars.

"Until we met again." Code seriously said before disappearing into the same vast of cars.