Chapter Four

Steve Rogers was obviously not in his uniform. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a brown leather jacket with a cap pulled down so that people wouldn't know his identity.

We made eye contact and he walked over to my booth.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" he asked me.

"I do, actually," I sassily replied.

He sighed and sat down anyway, earning a glare from me.

"My name is-"

"I know who you are," I snapped, cutting him off. "Get to the point."

Steve sighed and shook his head.

"We need those files back," he said.

"What files?" I asked innocently.

His eyes narrowed, but I wasn't going to tell him anything.

"Please, Y/n, can you just cooperate?"

"You know, hydra said that to me a few times," I said, leaning back in the booth, ignoring the burning in my side.

Steve's eyes darkened.

"We're not hydra," he said.

"If I give you the files, will you leave me alone?" I asked, crossing my arms.

Steve closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"You know we can't do that."

I rolled my eyes.

"But can't you? Just forget I ever existed. I won't kill anyone. Pinkie promise," I said holding out my pinkie finger.

Steve just glared at me.

"Listen, I don't know what you want from me. Whether you want to throw me in the Raft or make me an Avenger. Either way, I don't want that. I just want to live the life I was supposed to," I said, sounding a bit desperate.

"We can compromise," he said. "Come back to the tower-"

"I never want to step foot in that tower again," I interrupted him again. "And I would rather compromise here. Just you and me." I smiled.

Steve sighed once again.

"Fine. You can live a normal life, away from the Avengers and the raft, but you keep the limiter on," he said, gesturing to the metal band on my wrist.

"You know, I would agree to that, but I kind of need my powers," I said.

"And why would you need your powers if you were living a normal life?" he asked smirking.

Now he was playing my game.

"Well," I began, propping my hand up on a fist, "seeing as one of you shot me on my way here, and this limiter also limits my healing abilities, I would need my powers so that I don't bleed out and die."

I smiled at the end of my little speech as his eyes went wide.

"We thought you dodged that," he said.

"You thought wrong," I replied.

"We need to get you to a doctor," he said, rising from his seat.

"Sit down," I hissed.

He did as he was told, but he still looked wary.

"If you take off the limiter for a minute, I'll be able to remove the bullet and heal myself, then you can put it back on."

He looked from me to the limiter a number of times before saying, "how do I know you won't escape?"

I rolled my eyes.

"You'll have to trust me, Captain."

He looked into my eyes for a few more seconds before grabbing my wrist with the limiter.

"Look away," he commanded.

I rolled my eyes and looked away as he put in the code. I felt and heard a click and the band fell from my wrist. I could finally feel all of the metal in the diner, and I could feel my wound trying to heal.

I unzipped my jacket and pulled the bullet out of my body with my power. I gritted my teeth as it came out, and quickly healed myself.

"Are you sure you don't need a doctor?" Steve asked, still worried.

"As sweet as you're being, don't worry. I heal fast." I lifted up my shirt and showed him the undamaged skin beneath.

"See? Good as new."

He nodded and gestured for my arm. I put my arm back on the table, searching his body for anything metal. I felt a gun in the waistband of his jeans.

As he clipped the band over my wrist, I said, "Since when do you carry guns around, Captain? I thought you were more defence than offence."

He stiffened.

"I'll be leaving now."

I saluted him again as he stood up.

"I hope to never see you again, Captain," I said smirking.

He looked back at me for a moment before he smiled softly.

"I can't say the same."

A/N

Woah. I honestly love that chapter. The 'I can't say the same' always hits me in the feels even though I wrote it lol.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my lovelies, and if you did, leaving a vote and a comment behind would be amazing <3

P.S. Meme isn't mine

~ LadyLokiLaufeyson