Chapter Ten

I leant against a wall with a beer in my hand.

I had finally gotten away from the millions of people that Tony had wanted me to talk to. It was a bit overwhelming.

A person leant against the wall next to me. I looked over to see Steve. He was wearing a navy-blue dress shirt and khaki pants.

"Hey," he said softly, but loud enough to be heard over the party.

"Hey," I said, moving closer to him.

"Enjoying the party?" he asked.

"Not really," I replied. "Tony said it would be fun if I was drunk... but apparently super soldiers don't get drunk."

Steve chuckled and shook his head.

"We can get drunk off of Asgardian alcohol," he supplied.

"Yeah, but Thor's still on Asgard, isn't he?" I asked.

The soldier nodded. We rested against the wall, talking, for a bit longer until an old, slow song came on. I saw Steve shake his head with a smile on his face.

"What?" I asked, turning to him.

"Tony likes to play old slow songs for me, to bring me back to the 40's, but I know for a fact that this one is from the 50's," Steve replied, chuckling a bit at the end.

I smiled softly. They really were a family more than a team.

"Well, would you like to dance, Captain?" I asked, bowing, and holding out my hand.

Steve smiled and shook his head playfully, grabbing my hand and leading me to the dance floor. His left hand grabbed my right one and he placed his other hand on my waist. We swayed, occasionally moving a step or two.

I sighed and lay my head on Steve's chest. I felt him stiffen slightly and removed my head from his chest.

"I- I'm sorry- I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable-" I began but Steve cut me off with the shake of his head.

"It's fine," he said. "I... I just wasn't expecting it."

I smiled at him.

"Well, I am pretty unpredictable," I said, my smile widening.

Steve laughed. We continued dancing until the song was over. Tony drunkenly waltzed up to us.

"How many beers have you had?" he slurred.

"Eight or nine," I said.

"Then why aren't you partying?" he said with flourish.

I laughed.

"Tony," I giggled. "I'm not drunk. I can't get drunk."

"You, Steve and Bucky are such party poopers," he frowned.

He looked at Steve and I closely and his face lit up.

"Yes! Steve, my man! Getting it on!" he bellowed and did a little dance.

Steve and I looked at him confused while he danced around. Once Tony had calmed down enough to see the confused looks on our faces, he gestured to Steve's hand that was still on my waist.

Steve rolled his eyes and removed his hand from my waist. I frowned at the loss of contact.

"You see," Tony said, coming closer to me, "Steve's a gentleman. He would never place his hand on a random lady's waist."

Tony nodded as if he had said the most logical thing in the world.

"This is the part of the night I'd been dreading," Steve groaned.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking between the two.

Tony just winked at me and stumbled through the crowd.

"Is he allowed to leave by himself?" I asked, looking to Steve.

"Probably not in this state," Steve chuckled, but made no move to go and grab Tony.

After a few minutes, Bucky walked up to us. He nodded at me before turning to Steve.

"Sharon wants to talk to you," Bucky said.

"Take care of y/n, alright?" Steve said.

Bucky nodded and Steve walked away to talk to this 'Sharon.'

"Who's Sharon?" I asked Bucky once Steve had left.

"She works for SHIELD," Bucky said, taking a sip of his beer.

I nodded, following the Captain with my eyes. I saw him walk up to a beautiful blonde woman and start talking to her. They started laughing and I felt my insides shrivel up.

"Are they- are they... together?" I asked.

"No," Bucky said.

I nodded and sipped my beer.

"Why? Do you like him?"

I choked on my beer.

"What? No. Why would you... why would you think that?" I said once I had recovered from the beer's assassination attempt.

"Oh, you know. You two spend a lot of time together, and you seem calmer when he's around," Bucky said simply, sipping his beer.

"Well... he's nice, I suppose. Stubborn as hell, but sweet. A true gentleman," I said.

Bucky nodded with a smile on his face.

"You like him," he confirmed.

"No, I don't," I said, stubbornly, crossing my arms.

"Y/n, I can tell. Trust me. You want a couple hundred more reasons? I have them. It's okay if you don't want to act on it, but it's better to accept something than to push it away," Bucky said in a serious tone.

"I...uh...wow, okay," I said, taken aback.

I thought about it. Did I like Steve? 

Did I want to be around him? Yes, all the time. 

Did I want to touch him? Yes, I liked the comfort.

Did I want to kiss him? To taste his lips, to mould mine against his?

Yes. I did.

Dammit. I liked Steve Rogers.

A/N

I hope you enjoyed chapter 10!

P.S. Meme isn't mine <3

~LadyLokiLaufeyson