Chapter Thirteen

Your POV

The next few days were patrolling, improving security, and researching. We were trying to find HYDRA and attack back. I had barely gotten any sleep and was surviving off coffee.

Wanda was perfectly healed and back on her feet. Everyone was happy that she and Bucky were okay.

No one was happier than Steve. He was ecstatic that his friend was healed and safe. He had thanked me millions of times.

I scrolled through the map on the screen. I could have sworn I was kept in a base around here somewhere. I looked over the farmlands, finding houses and barns, but nothing suspicious.

"Y/n."

I turned around to see Natasha standing in the doorway.

"Yes?" I replied, continuing to scroll.

"It's two in the morning," she said.

I glanced around the room. I could have sworn that Tony and Clint were in here with me a minute ago. I said the same to Natasha.

"They left a couple of hours ago," she replied.

I sighed and scrubbed my face. I was so caught up in trying to find this HYDRA base and land a blow. I just needed to find them. I needed to end HYDRA. They took everything from me, and I wanted to take everything from them.

"I just... five more minutes. It's around here somewhere," I bargained, turning back to the screen.

"Nope. Bedtime. Now," she said sternly.

"But I need to find-" I began, but she cut me off.

"I'll keep looking. You go to bed. You need sleep."

I sighed and reluctantly headed to my room. I changed into a pair of sweats and a massive shirt that was definitely not mine, but I was too tired to care. I fell onto the bed and drifted away to the land of sleep.

~

I was running through the halls of HYDRA. There were agents chasing me. A few started shooting at me. I tried to catch the bullets with my power, but I found that I couldn't. I looked to my wrist and found a metal band like the one Stark made for me. I found an unlocked door and scrambled to enter it. I slammed the door shut, blocking out my pursuers.

What I found in the room was much worse.

"Y/n."

Dr List, one of HYDRA's best scientists, and the man who lead most of my experiments, stood next to a metal table that I remembered all too well.

"Welcome back. You know the drill."

I shook my head. I grabbed the door handle, but it was locked. I began pounding on the door.

"Let me out!" I screamed. "Let me out!"

"Come on now, y/n, there's no need to act like this."

Before I knew it, he was behind me. He injected me with something, and I fell to the floor. Before I passed out, Dr List spoke one last time.

"You can never escape us."

~

I woke up with a gasp, my hand on my racing heart. Tears began streaming down my face. I had hoped to never see that place and that... person – if you could even call him one – again. Being overtired brought the memories and nightmares.

I shuddered, trying to forget the nightmare.

I looked around my dark room. It looked as if the shadows were trying to get me. I turned on the lights.