Chapter Sixteen

Steve POV

Steve lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling. He couldn't get y/n out of his head.

There were three things about her that were plaguing his thoughts.

The first was how she had killed Dr List and the HYDRA agents with no remorse. She had killed well over a hundred people and didn't give it a second thought.

The second was her skill. She was a lot more skilled than she had let on. Sure, she had escaped the Avengers and destroyed the metal army, but this was different. She was powerful enough to have taken that base by herself, without the help of the Avengers. For heaven's sake, she got shot and was still able to kill Dr List and walk out of the base.

The final thing was... her. Just everything about her. Her personality, her beauty. Everything about her mesmerised him. The way she laughed, her eyes lighting up whenever she ate something yummy. The way she would never stand down to anyone, and the way she held herself.

She was so similar to Peggy, and yet so much better. It made Steve cringe with guilt when he thought about it, but it was true. Y/n was the best woman he had ever met, and he wanted her to be his.

I need to talk to her, he thought.

Steve got out of his bed and walked across the hall to y/n's room. He knocked on the door but got no response.

She's probably sleeping, he thought.

She deserved the sleep. She deserved nightmare free sleep. Steve sighed, running a hand down his face. He decided that he was too awake to sleep, and that he should get in a few hours of training.

He got changed into some workout clothes and headed down to the training rooms. He opened the door to find y/n punching the ever-loving crap out of a punching bag.

Your POV

Right, left.

I punched the bag in a rhythm.

Right, left.

Nothing in my life had rhythm anymore. It was a chaotic mess.

Right, left.

Steve had been right. Killing List had done absolutely nothing to help me.

I punched the bag as hard as I could. It split down the middle and fell off the hook, spilling it's insides everywhere. I muttered a curse.

"Don't worry about it, I do that all the time."

As fast as a whip, I pulled a gun out of my pocket and pointed it at the voice. I exhaled and lowered it when I saw that it was only Steve.

"Are you alright?" he asked me.

He looked concerned. I scoffed.

"Do I look alright? It's what – four in the morning? – and I just punched a bag so hard it broke and then pulled a gun on my teammate. Tell me – what do you think?" I sneered.

Steve frowned.

"There's no need to be rude. I was just trying to see if you wanted to talk about it," he snapped.

His bad mood fuelled mine.

"Talk about what, exactly? The fact that my tormentor is dead, but it did nothing to improve my mental state? Or that I'm so paranoid that I need to carry a gun around with me? Or maybe, just maybe, the fact that I killed over a hundred people and felt no remorse?" I said angrily.

Steve took a deep breath.

"I'm not going to talk to you while you're like this," he said.

"Like what?" I asked, walking straight up to him until our chests were almost touching.

"When you're... like this. Aggravated and not caring about what your words mean," he replied, looking down at me.

Now that he was this close to me, I could see the height difference. It enraged me. Suddenly, everything about him infuriated me. His stupid muscles, his stupid honour, and his stupidly perfect face. Based on his next words, I think he could tell that I was pissed about everything.

"Listen, I know that this is hard for you, but we're all here for you," he said, grabbing my hand.

I didn't take it away. Instead, I opened up for the first time in a very long time.

"They killed my parents. I thought - I thought that killing him would... even out the debt, in a way. But it didn't."

Tears began streaming down my face. Steve pulled me into a hug. I cried into his chest.

"I – I couldn't save them, Steve. I couldn't save my parents."

My shaky voice was muffled by his body.

"I had to be given all this to be able to do anything to save anyone," I cried.

"Hey, hey," he said.

He placed a finger under my chin and lifted my head.

"Y/n, you are the most amazing woman I have ever met. You are smart, brave, and extremely beautiful. You can face the Avengers and not back down. Your powers just add to the amazing woman you are," he said softly.

I sniffed and he wiped the tears away from my eyes. Without thinking, I leaned up and kissed him. He froze at first but after a moment his lips began moving in-sync with mine. We pulled back after a moment and just gazed into each other's eyes.

"I – uh... well, that was unexpected," Steve said, blushing and looking down.

I giggled at how adorable and shy he was being.

"Well, I am unpredictable," I said.

He chuckled quietly and took my hands in his.

"Y/n, will you... do you want to be my girlfriend?" Steve asked me.

I smiled and pecked him on the lips.

"I would love to," I said.

He smiled at me bashfully.

"May I kiss you again?" he asked.

"Of course," I said, smiling.

He leaned forwards and captured my lips into a sweet kiss.

The doors to the training rooms burst open and Bucky walked in. Steve and I jumped away from each other and awkwardly looked away from each other. A strangled sort of noise came from Bucky. I looked at him. He was looking between Steve and I with his mouth hanging wide open. He suddenly smiled and cheered, running out of the training rooms.

"Sam! You owe me twenty!"

A/N

Well, that's the end of 'Trust Me'! I hope you enjoyed, and thank you to all of you who read, voted and commented on this book, it really means a lot <3

P.S. Meme isn't mine <3 (Also, I know that the meme is supposed to be were, not where)

~LadyLokiLaufeyson