•Week Two• (7)

As some of you may have gathered, this is a horror story so of course it's going to be angsty. I kind of hate this chapter but I can't do any better so yeah.

(Back to Adam's POV)

Jack looked terrified as he slowly backed away from the big man.
I pulled on my chains, wishing I could stop what was about to happen.

"Your brother is stubborn," the woman--Cass--spat. "I have a feeling we'll be able to use you to get what we need."

Jack continued to back away, and before I could warn him, he slipped off of the wooden planks and into the dark water.

Water splashed out onto Cass and she shielded herself, obviously annoyed.

"RUN!" I screamed at Jack, finally finding my voice. I didn't know if he could hear me since he was underwater, but I prayed he could.

But it was too late. The big man reached into the water, pulling Jack out like a ragdoll.

They chained Jack to the wall opposite to me, and put a device on his arm.
Jack gave me a look that signified how scared he was, and it made me feel hopeless.

"Now, here's how we'll do things," Cass said, turning back to me after attaching the metal device to Jack's arm.

"If you don't tell us where Ryan is, instead of punishing you, we'll punish poor Jack over here." She smiled a little.
"Refuse to speak, and the device on his arm will stick a thin needle into his vein, releasing a poison that will kill him in a matter of days. The one dose isn't enough to kill a man, though, but it will hurt like hell."

Jack went pale, staring at the thing on his arm. He then turned to me, obviously trying to find some sort of comfort in my eyes, but I couldn't give him any reassurance.

"Every time you refuse to answer our questions, the needle will plunge into his arm. You have exactly three chances to corporate before the poison will become lethal."

"And, we'll be watching," the big man interjected, quickly making sure our chains were both secure.

Cass nodded. "I'll leave George here to make sure you don't try to escape."

She then walked onto a boat near the side of a wooden plank, waving goodbye to George and giving me a threateningly glare before leaving.

George grinned menacingly when we were all alone.

"So," he began, sitting down on a metal chair. "Where is Ryan?"

My breath caught in my throat, I couldn't look at Jack. I couldn't tell George where Ryan was, but I had to.

This was some cruel game. Either choice I make, one of them will die.

"What's wrong?" George asked, clearly making fun of me. "Can't decide which brother you care for more?"

"Shut up!" I snapped at him, anger and misery clouding my mind.

"It's okay," George laughed. "We all know everyone has a favorite sibling. Nothing to be ashamed of."

I clenched my jaw, daring to look up at Jack. Tears formed in his eyes, and he appeared to be mouthing something to me. I couldn't understand what he was trying to say to me.

"Tell me where Ryan is, and we'll make sure we won't make his death too painful."

"No," I said, the word slipping from my lips.

George sneered, pulling out a remote. "That's one out of three," he said, pushing the button.

Jack thrashed in his chains, trying to get away from the thin needle. He was too confined to get away, though.

I watched as the needle harshly stabbed into his arm. Jack's breathing turned rapid, and it was only a matter of seconds before a heart wrenching cry of agony sounded from him.

He screamed so loud that George had to cover his ears. I couldn't though, I couldn't move any inch of my body. It hurt watching Jack be in so much pain, and it hurt even more knowing I was the cause of his agony.

He twisted around, tears now freely streaming down his face.

But then suddenly, his screams stopped. He collapsed against the wall, exhausted and panting for air.

George uncovered his ears, smiling brightly. "That was honestly really fun," he said, turning to Jack. "I like your reactions to pain, they're so satisfying."

A single tear slid down Jack's face.

"We'll take a break before your brother chooses Ryan over you again."

I could practically feel Jack's heartbreak, and maybe that was because mine was aching, too.

"Jack," I began, my voice hoarse. "Please, look at me."

Jack didn't look at me, in fact, he turned as far away from me as he could.

"I'm s-sorry, Jack," I said, my voice cracking. "Please, just look at me. I don't value anyone over you. And I don't value anyone over Ryan. You both have a special place in my heart that no one can take."

Jack sniffled, rubbing his puffy eyes.

"I won't choose anyone over you, ever."

"Promise?" He said, his voice barely audible

I was about to respond, but then George intervened "Well, this is a sweet brotherly moment you guys are having, but break time is over."

My heart dropped, and Jack broke eye contact with me.

"Where's Ryan?"

I bit my lip.

"Hm? Speak up, I can't hear you."

My hands began to shake, and I desperately tried to think of a way out of this.

"I-I don't know where he is," I said, slowly exhaling.

"Wrong answer." George reached for the remote.

"No!" I yelled, pulling on my chains.

He grinned, pushing the button.

There was only a moment of silence  before Jack began to scream uncontrollably. His cries pierced my ears, clawing at me.

He tossed and turned against his confinements, forgetting how to breathe.

I watched, tears now falling from my eyes. I didn't want to watch him go through this anymore, but if I tell George where Ryan is, most likely he'll be put through hell, too.

Jack's screams echoed off the walls, filling the whole ride with despair. 

George moved his chair to sit next to me, intently watching Jack's movements.

"Would you care to know what he's feeling right now?"

My hands began to tremble, eyes widening as Jack began to claw at his skin. He hit his head on the wall numerous times and scraped his knees on the floor.

"I'll take your silence as a yes," George said. "This poison shuts off the part of the brain that stops us humans from hurting ourselves e-" another cry from Jack interrupted him. He scowled and continued. "Either he'll die from the poison, or he'll kill himself first."

I couldn't respond.