Chapter 7

Emma

I spent the whole night tossing and turning in bed, weighing my options. It was final that I was not going to give up on my love and marry an arrogant jerk like Dawood Ordimez.

I didn't know if Dawood would ever agree to help me. Looking at our last interaction in his studio, it was nearly impossible that he would ever listen to what I had to say.

I thought of talking to someone who could stop this betrothal from happening but I won't be able to do it without hurting Abi. I didn't want to disappoint him, after what he had done for mom and me. He had not cared for anything or anyone to give us the life that we deserved.

He was already too stressed because of Ahmed's playboy attitude. A week didn't pass when something was not published in the newspapers regarding Ahmed. The Azmaayiri press would not write anything openly but the tabloids in the neighboring countries didn't hesitate to highlight his sexcapades.

Abi had always liked lawyers, he had wanted to be one and had studied law from HLS, but couldn't pursue the career because of Jiddo (grandfather). I thought of calling mom but she would ask me the reason and I couldn't tell her about Hamza until things were sorted out between us.

I didn't even know if Hamza was still willing to marry. I would have to ask him where our relationship stood and for that, I did need to meet him. I don't think Abi would let me go to Azmaayir before winter break. I had no option but to approach Dawood but I was not sure if he would be willing to help.

Abi left early in the morning, reminding me once again to think about the proposal. Reem asked me about it and I told her about the proposal. She advised me to call and talk to Dawood, so we could come up with a solution without crushing Abi's happiness.

Reem left after breakfast and I again got busy considering what to do. I knew other than asking Dawood to refuse the proposal I didn't have any other option.

I looked up the number of his law firm in the online directory and dialed it on my cell phone. A lady picked up the call after a few rings.

" You have reached the reception of Ordimez and Montgomery, how can we help you?"

"Can I speak to Mr. Dawood Ordimez?" I asked.

"Sure mam, I will transfer the call to his secretary," She said in her professional manner and I waited till another female voice sounded on the other side.

"This is the office of Dawood Ordimez, how can I help you?"

"Can I speak to Mr. Ordimez?"

"May I know who is calling?" she inquired.

"Emma Al Jahaan," I answered.

"Please hold for a minute," she said and the call went silent, she had probably put me on hold. Her voice sounded again on the call, "Mr. Ordimez is busy with a client you can try calling again after an hour. If it's urgent you can leave a message with me."

"No thanks, I will call later," I said and disconnected the call.

It was essential to reach Dawood before Abi returned from Washington tomorrow. I was sure Dawood wouldn't be interested in marrying me. It was clear how much we both despised each other. I called again after an hour and his Secretary said he was busy with deposition and I could try calling again later.

If I would not have known Dawood, I would have trusted his secretary's words but I knew he was purposefully avoiding me. I had my lunch with Uncle Haaris. I had taken an off from the law school to sort out this matter as soon as possible.

I called his office again after an hour and this time she transferred the call to him.

"How can I help you, Ms. Jahaan?" Dawood asked in a pleased tone.