Chapter 10

Hamza

The buck's ears shot up as his eyes scanned the surroundings. I tried to focus on my target, a bead of sweat trickled down from my forehead. Placing the finger on the trigger, I kept my eyes focused on the buck. It was more alert than before now, he turned his neck around and looked straight in my direction.

I pressed the trigger and the buck jerked at that same moment, making me miss the target yet again.

"Where is your mind?" Haitham asked from beside me.

I could sense Mohammed's watchful eyes on me. He was his father's son, a man of few words, but when he spoke everyone around listened. Though he was a few years younger than me, he was nearly as mature and sensible.

"I got distracted," I replied to Haitham.

"This is happening a lot on this trip," Adnan took part in the conversation.

He was right, we have come on a hunting trip to eastern Azmaayir and I have not been able to kill a single buck or doe on this trip. I was not able to focus and it was all because of Emma.

"If you guys have some problem, I will go back," I shot back at him, not even sure why I was being bitter with him.

"What's got your panties in a bunch?" Haitham teased.

"I think we should give him a break. It's not necessary to be focused each second of the day," Mohammed spoke for the first time, silencing our other two companions.

He had an air of authority around him, being the Crown Prince he had been trained since a very young age to lead. Where Ahmed was carefree and reckless, Mohammed on the other hand was always composed and alert. There was no place for him to commit a mistake and he knew how important it was for him to always be in control of all situations.

"Look who is speaking about not being focused at each second of the day," Adnan rolled his eyes at Mohammed.

Adnan and Mohammed were first cousins, like me and Adnan. He was the son of His Majesty, Taimur Al Jahaan's sister, who was the wife of my uncle.

"I am hungry, let's go back to the camp," Haitham said, sitting up and then standing on the ground, where we all were sprawled.

"I am surprised, how you could take time out for a hunting trip in the absence of Khalu ( an endearment for mother's brother in Arabic)," Adnan said, rubbing off the dirt on his trousers.

It was rare that Mohammed joined us on these hunting trips, that his father was on a tour of the US. It was a surprise that he had come here with us. I was reluctant to join this trip, but Haitham had forced me to come.

The last month had been too stressful for me. From the moment I had seen Emma with that guy in the dance club, I was not able to focus on anything. I couldn't believe Emma would allow any guy other than me to be so close to her. The way he was holding her, the way he had his hands all over her, the way they both were looking into each other's eyes, it was not hard to understand that they had known each other for a long time.

I had always assumed that Emma loved me but seeing her with that guy had shaken my confidence to the core. It was clear there was more to them than she was telling me. Emma had been calling and texting me like crazy for the past month but I was completely ignoring her.

I wanted to give her space to think and I wanted space to think too. If she was involved with another guy, even just for the sake of fooling around, I don't think I would be able to tolerate it. She had always made hundreds of declarations of love for me while she had been fooling around with him.