Chapter 51

Emma

I cried myself to sleep after Dawood left and woke up the following day with a headache.  I wanted to cry myself back to sleep and never see the light again. Dawood's words shattered me to the core.

Dawood's past had scarred him to the extent that it blinded his judgment, and he couldn't differentiate wrong from right. I knew he was hurting, but why couldn't he see how much I was hurting too?

I had thought letting Dawood consummate our marriage would prove to him that I loved him and I didnt cheat him, but still, it didnt make a difference. He was too far gone in his assumptions, and I had no clue what I could do to convince Dawood I only loved him.

I loved him. I loved him with every fiber of my being and made every effort in the past months to make our marriage work. We both were forced into this marriage by our respective families, but we had come so far. Dawood and I had been so close to consummating our wedding, but fate struck like it always did.

Fate wove the strings of our life together. What could have been the odds of us marrying if any of us wouldn't attend that party? I would never have met Dawood, and our lives wouldn't have changed forever. It was fate that brought us across each other and fate that orchestrated all the events until our marriage. It got us so close to perfection, finding love and solace in each other, then wrecking everything.

Why couldn't it just give us a break? Why make us fall in love with each other when only heartbreak was written our destiny?

I felt so lonely and needed a friend I could talk to. Reaching out picked up the cell from the nightstand and opened my contacts. I dialed Mohammad's number, and he received the call after a few rings.

"Em, is everything okay? Why are you calling me so late?"

A sob ripped out of my mouth at his concerned tone, even when I tried to control it.

Emma, what happened?" Mohammed's voice dripped with concern.

"I ruined it, Haami. I ruined everything," I choked.

"Em, love, tell me what happened. Did Dawood hurt you? I will kill him with my bare hands if he does," Mohammed declared in a determined voice.

"No, he didn't hurt me. I am afraid it was me who hurt him. He hates me, Haami. He hates me so much. Dawood is hurting, and I don't know what to do," I said.

"What happened? Tell me everything from the start," He encouraged.

I told him how Dawood and I had gotten close and then about Dawood's abrupt departure to Istanbul.

"That motherfucker," Mohammed cursed when I came to the part about Hamza.

"I had no idea about what Hamza was planning. I only met him to make it clear that I had moved on and there was no place for him in my life."

"Em, how could you be so stupid as to meet him when you knew how possessive Dawood is about you? Hamza can go to hell, for all I care. You don't owe that bastard anything, especially after how he treated you when you needed him the most," he expressed indignantly.

"What am I going to do, Haami? Dawood is not ready to listen to anything, and from how Hamza was acting, I don't think he is going to let it go easily," I was feeling so helpless at that moment that all I wanted to do was kill myself.

"Listen to me carefully, Em, I am coming to the US, and I will take care of Hamza, okay?"

"What if he doesn't agree to leave me alone?"

"I will deal with him; you don't need to worry. I will ask Ahmed to talk to Dawood," Mohammed assured.

"No!" I exclaimed, "don't say anything to Ahmed about this. You know how protective he is about me. He would only worsen the situation if he came here."