Chapter 53

Emma

My body ached deliciously when I woke up the next day. Dawood kept me up for hours last night. As if having a wet dream in such a tense situation wasn't embarrassing enough, Dawood had to witness it too. When he woke up, I wasn't sure if it was a dream or reality. I was dreaming about him, and waking up next to him with his hand in my shorts had left me stunned, but not for long because Dawood didn't give me much time to ponder over anything. 

I spread my hand on the bed only to find it cold. My eyes popped open, and I looked around, only to find the bed and room empty. There was no sign of Dawood. I had no clue when he left after I fell asleep out of exhaustion when Dawood made me come countless times. If the cold sheets were an indication, Dawood left hours ago.

Even if my body felt sated, my heart felt hollow. Though our bodies connected physically in the most intimate way a man and woman can, emotionally, there was an invisible wall between us. My chest constricted, remembering the indifference in his eyes. Those golden orbs lit up with warmth every time they fell on me and were devoid of emotions last night.

Even if Dawood's body craved me physically, it was clear emotionally he was too distant, and it killed me. I wanted Dawood not just physically but emotionally. I missed his smiles and our banter. I missed spending the evenings huddled on the couch beneath the blanket, watching crime shows and documentaries. Most of all, I missed sleeping snuggled at his side.

Those days felt like another lifetime when Dawood showered me with his love and affection. I couldn't believe that only a single incident tattered the bond we had spent months forming.

Tears pricked at the corner of my eyes. I needed to get Dawood back. I couldn't let anyone destroy our marriage that easily. Dawood and I worked hard to make our marriage work, only for Hamza to ruin it in a few minutes. I wouldn't let Hamza win. I wouldn't lose Dawood. Not after everything we went through to reach a level of love and respect for each other.

I slipped out of bed with a newfound determination and went through my morning routine.  After showering and getting ready for law school, I came downstairs only to freeze at the foot of the stairs.

Dawood was in the living room with a heavily built stranger in a suit. The man wore a blue tooth set in his ear. He stood beside the armchair Dawood was settled on.

"Emma, meet your bodyguard, Altan," Dawood introduced, noticing me.

"Bodyguard?"

"Altan will accompany you to your law school and stay at your side throughout the day. I have spoken to the Dean; you will fave no inconvenience because of him," Dawood replied. 

"I don't need a bodyguard to attend law school," I asserted.

"Yes, you do."

Anger replaced my determination, and I wanted to lift the vase from the coffee table and break it over Dawood's head. Even after telling him countless times that I loved him and only him, he wasn't ready to believe me. I even allowed him to consummate the marriage and even let him sleep with me last night, and still, he doubted my feelings.

"Why are you doing this?"

Dawood stood up with a jerk and then covered the distance between him and me with long angry strides. He grabbed my arm and pulled me into the nearest room, which turned out to be the gym.

"If you want to continue your studies, you need to take Altan with you," Dawood hissed when the door closed behind us.

"I don't want a guard watching my every move. I am not some damn criminal," I retorted in frustration.