Chapter 38

Emma

I saw Dawood's friend Carl storm out of the penthouse through the glass door. What transpired in the kitchen a few minutes ago had left me stunned.

I hadn't expected Dawood would threaten to kill his friend for disrespecting me. He had changed in the past weeks, which was a pleasant surprise. I could feel he used to enjoy the evenings we spent preparing dinner while discussing our day.

I asked his friend Mike to help me arrange something to surprise Dawood after I gave every option a lot of thought, and he happily agreed. What I hadn't expected was Dawood's cold response, to my surprise.

I thought he might like it, but it turned out the opposite, and now, after his face-off with Carl, I felt that I would need to forget about going to law school again.

"Em, did you listen to a word I just said?" Ahmed asked from the other side.

"Sorry, what were you saying again?"

"I was inquiring if your asshole husband treats you well?"

"Apart from a few things, he is tolerable," I replied.

"Have you started law school?" Ahmed's voice sounded strained.

"Not yet," I replied.

"You have been missing classes for more than a month now. Why didn't you join the day you were back?"

"It's complicated," I sighed.

"What the fuck is complicated about attending classes?" Ahmed sounded more pissed with each passing second.

It wasn't an option to explain to Ahmed that I  declined to sleep with Dawood and asked him to earn my submission. In return, he was not allowing me to attend classes.

Dawood and my relationship were fucked in a way that people might not understand. We both were strong-headed, and we wouldn't step down until we achieved the goals we set. Dawood didn't force me to sleep with him after the night of our reception. He accepted my challenge, and I took his challenge to earn his trust.

"I can't..," I was interrupted in the middle by him, "Is he stopping you from going to law school?"

"He isn't stopping me..," he interrupted me again, "Why the hell are you taking his shit? Call Abi. I am sure one call from him will make his arrogance go down the drain," Ahmed hissed.

"Maddy, this is my marriage, and I am more than capable of handling it. I don't want to involve Abi or Dawood's father. If they talk to Dawood, he will back off, but there won't be any victory for me. I don't scare away from a challenge, and I will bring Dawood to his knees without help from anyone," my voice was full of determination.

I wouldn't back off until Dawood gave me the codes himself. I was more than capable of doing it. I wanted to gain his respect and trust. I wouldn't have him forced by our fathers to allow me to go to law school. I wanted Dawood to let me do it out of his own free will, and I would do everything I could to achieve it.

"Sometimes I feel you are more fucked up than I am," Ahmed's voice was laced with sarcasm.

"I agree my relationship with Dawood is fucked, but I want to give this marriage a chance. He isn't as bad as he seems. The devil does have a good side to him," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"I don't give a fuck about his good side. He is a dead man if he misbehaves with you," Ahmed was back to being himself, wanting to kill any guy in my life.

"Maddy, get used to him. He is my husband, and he isn't going anywhere," I teased.

"The only reason he is alive till now is that he is married to you," Ahmed sneered.