Desperation, Aunts, and Inflatable Mattresses

I took in the apartment before me, blinking repeatedly. The furniture was supposed to be here. I frowned to myself. It was supposed to be all set out and stuff.I looked around again trying to get my head around the ridiculous fact that I had just travelled 3156 miles to arrive to an empty apartment.

"Where is everything ?" Val asked a worried expression forming on his face. His slightly curly black  hair was stuck to his forehead as he panted out the question. Not that I was surprised, those bags were heavy.

I shook my head dropping the luggage to the floor and closing the door behind us. Sliding down the wall slowly, I wondered what the hell we were gonna do now. We were new here. We had only been in London a couple of times, but not nearly enough to know our way around. I lowered my head to my knees with a grunt and hearing a loud thump, assumed that Val was now on the floor as well. He didn't say anything.

Suddenly, my head shot back up as I remembered something.

A huge, stupid looking, smile spread across my face as I remembered one of my earlier conversations with dad. He had said to be careful when we got here. He had said to make sure that we took care of ourselves. He had told us not to get involved in any unnecessary trouble (Dad didn't even bother to tell us to stay out of trouble. He knew we would get in some eventually, he just asked us not to get into more than necessary). Dad had also said that we should visit Cira when we got here.

With the idiotic grin still plastered across my face, I kicked Val' side to get his attention. It looked like we were going to be paying her a visit sooner than we thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Knock, knock, knock*

Silence

"Ring the doorbell, idiot"

"There is no doorbell !" My brother barked at me. We had been standing here for some time now. I lifted both my eyebrows, as I gestured to the left with my chin .

"Oh."

I rolled my eyes at my brother and pushed him to the side, pressing the little green circle on the side of the glass door. Nothing happened for awhile, but then, after a couple of seconds, a series of soft thuds could be heard through the door, as if someone was running towards it.

Only a second later, a tiny gap appeared in the door as my aunt eyed us up and down suspiciously.

"Can I help you?" she questioned in a polite tone, making the gap between the door slightly larger.

Cira was 29 years old, with deep brown eyes and clear Hispanic features. She and my dad looked very similar to each other, and you could clearly tell they were siblings, if you stood them together.

Cira was still eyeing us up, as all of the sudden, understanding flashed across her face. She threw the door open and, her eyes going huge and let out a loud shriek. She clasped her hand to her mouth, before taking it away, and doing a great impersonation of a goldfish.

"Rickie...? Val..?" she choked out her eyes still huge orbs.

Cira's reaction didn't really surprise me..The last time she saw us was 7 years ago, when we were still 11. Both me and my brother had done some growing up since then.

What happened next quickly snapped me out of my thoughts as a small body lunged itself at me. My initial reaction was to pull away, at this both unexpected and sudden reaction, but after the initial shock wore off, I hugged her small frame back as she clasped her hands around my neck, kissing both my cheeks.

I chuckled as I kissed her back in return, and felt her pull away just in time to propell herself towards Val. Squeezing her back, Val chuckled slightly "Hello Cece".