Chapter 5

Happy Reading :)

"Hello Lydia."

"Lydia your brother came over." Anita called from the kitchen in a high pitch nervous voice.

"Thank you for the tea." He turned and smiled at her. Anita nearly swooned.

"What are you doing here." I stumbled back out the door and felt Anthony's hands steadying me.

"You're okay," He murmured.

"Come in, we need to talk."

I walked forward, remembered Anthony was still here and turned back to see him wearily eyeing Felix.

"I don't know who you are." Felix said as a statement, and not a question. Almost like he was surprised that he didn't know who Anthony was.

"Anthony."

"It's a pleasure Anthony. Do you mind if I talk to my sister here alone." Still smiling. 

"I think that would be up to her." He said, equally unbothered.

"You can go," I said keeping eye contact with Felix. I felt like he was a predator and I was prey, I didn't want to attract anymore attention to Anthony. 

"I'll be outside." He said, "Nice meeting you."

"Likewise." Felix replied, eyes narrowed.

The door shut behind me.

"Who is he?" Felix asked in an amused tone.

"None of your business."

I looked at my brother. His face triggered so many emotions. Anger, sadness, longing, resentment.

"You need to come home," All amusement drained from his face. 

"Yeah? The last time I was home you told me not to come back if I remember correctly." I snapped, the day I left for good was still burned in my brain. His nostrils flared at the memory.

"Don't be difficult Lydia, we need you home now." He said in a softer tone.

"Why?" I asked angrily.

"Pop had a heart attack."

"What?" I felt my knees buckle and Felix rushed forward, holding me up.

"Jesus Lydia, he's okay, he's recovering in the hospital. You need to come home now."

"Why did no one call me?" I asked, he let me go when I steadied myself.

"You have everyone blocked," true but he could have gotten through somehow, even through Mama, "This also isn't news you should hear over text, and I know you wouldn't hear a word of it through the phone. The second anyone tried to call you you would hang up."

This whole time I thought Felix was stalking me to take me in handcuffs back home, but he was trying to tell me my Dad was sick. Guilt hit me in waves, I hadn't been home in two years, I hadn't seen my parents, or any of my brothers. What if something happened to them while I was gone.

"I also came so you wouldn't be alone when you heard the news. To support you Lydia." He said in a gentle voice. He put his hand on my arm.

With a touch I felt everything I built crashing down on me. I was reverting into the young obedient Tonelli who was happy to live in the safe shadows of Felix. I would go home and be little Lydia who lived for others and didn't question what she was told.

"If I come home it's of my own free will. I am not there under your rules. I will get my own hotel room if I have to." I brushed his hand off of me.

"You'll stay in your own room Lydia." He rolled his eyes.