Chapter 4

4
Unexpected

Christy

After they left the infirmary, her boss went back to avoiding her like the plague again. His behavior was akin to a switch being flipped. He had phased her back to the field and deposited her beside Guvaan under the booth as if she had a terrible disease he might just very well catch if he stayed with her any longer. At that moment she had fought the urge to look down at her skin to see if she had any spots that suggested she was poisonous. Of, course, she had none.

Christy watched as Humack faded from sight and she was left staring at the spot he had just vacated. That's it? No 'I'm glad you are better ms. Sanders,' or 'See you at the company dinner ms. Sanders.' One minute he was making fun of her and in the next, he was back to his brutish ways. He was giving her a whiplash. 

Christy wasn't sure why she was so upset by the way he was again treating her. Shouldn't she be grateful he was averting his attention from her, it gave her time to recover her pride from the way she had not too long humiliated herself in front of a group of people and him. But she wasn't happy or glad in the least, she was irrationally upset and angry.

"Are you okay?" Guvaan asked, looking at her with pale yellow eyes holding concern. "I saw what happened on the field. I wasn't sure if I should've helped or not..."

Well everyone had seen what had happened; she had fallen and had to be phased to an infirmary, by her boss, because she was human and humans get injured easily. Just another testament of how weak her species really was.

Why didn't Guvaan help her? Bring her to the infirmary instead of sitting here watching Mr. Humack boss her around. Wasn't that what supposed fiances did, take care of their females? She could just imagine the tongue wagging to come in the office. Everyone must be thinking her Jude didn't love her for he allowed another male to take care of her in her time of need.

But then again she and Guvaan were just acting, they weren't a real couple. Maybe he thought that spending time bringing her to see a doctor was just not part of the job description. Which it would be if they were in a real relationship. She knew she should forgive him. She was making a big deal out of this for nothing. She was just agitated and upset.

The words came a little harsher than she intended still. "Why didn't you?"

The Jude sat there looking everywhere but at her. Was he ashamed? Christy gave her head a tiny shake to clear it and sighed. He shouldn't be. He didn't have a binding obligation to her-- she wasn't even paying him much-- so she shouldn't be taking out her anger on him. He was not at fault in her humiliation, she was just angry for another reason and it was easier to use him as her emotional punching bag for the moment.

Christy tried to smile. "Doesn't matter. Where's Janice?"

"She went to the bathroom. She'll be back."

She nodded and looked away. Her clothes had practically dried on her now and she decided that she didn't need to bother change back into her dress since she had to go home anyway. She just really needed a long, hot cleanse and something to eat then forget this day ever happened.

She turned back to the booth and halted at the look Guvaan was giving her. "What?"

He hesitated. "You seem a little different..."

Okay... "Well yeah, my hair is in fringes and my face is red from my constant embarrassment." She rolled her eyes. She truley didn't mean to be bitchy but she couldn't seem to help it. It was almost as bad as when she's on her period.