Chapter 8

Psst! Just a reminder that this chapter is not edited. Btw, is this book going too fast or too slow with the plot. Let me know guys, I love to hear from y'all.

8.
Christy

     Christy knew something was amiss the moment she stepped into the meeting room. The atmosphere lacked that excited buzz that accompanied the news of a possible pod design. Humack was picky, it could be considered a miracle that Christy, a little 'ol human, would be the first in months to be approved to construct a functioning luxury pod using her ideas. It was starting to feel more and more like a setup.

You couldn't fault her for being skeptical of Humack's true motives. She was not the best pod designer, even though she was a darn good one, so why had he only taken one look at her work and granted permission? Not to mention showing her work to clients. Now Christy had a prototype to make in a week! She couldn't help holding on to the suspicion that he was using this opportunity to control her... To stop her from going to Earth, despite what Janice believed.

She shook away the unease that clung to her. But there was really nothing she could do. It was either listen to her boss or lose her job. So she would do her best with this challenge he'd thrown at her, and succeed she would if she ever planned to live a peaceful life. As her history teacher used to say, 'all great leaders have great people behind them'. Christy was convinced that with the right people behind her she could do great things and all in good time— hopefully within a week. Already she had compiled a few persons whom she knew she wanted to work with. Persons with excellent skills who would contribute something special.

Unfortunately, none of them were here in this room. In fact, only five persons stood in the room and they were all packing up their belongings, piling Ipads together before stuffing them into their respective pouches.

No one came? That was the first thought that struck. She scanned the room, chairs were pushed back, at least three digital pamphlets were strewn across the large table top in the center. The view screen was up but the light emitting from it was a sharp blue, usually appearing after the screen was on for at least twenty minutes.

So someone had had a meeting here before? But this was her meeting time. The notice board said so. She even had the time and date on her Ipad right in her increasingly sweaty hands.

The uneasy tingle in her stomach grew. Her wrist timer said she was only a stroke late.

     She looked up and her gaze landed on the empty chair at the head of the giant table. Mr. Humack was nowhere in sight. She didn't really expect to see him here but that didn't stop her from experiencing a peculiar twinge of disappointment.

Come on Christy, he was a busy Jude, running a multi-billion credits business didn't exactly give him much free time to check on workers personally. Besides, you should be glad he wasn't around to tell you what to do or to criticize you...

Right. But where was everyone?

A Jude with a horrible scar on his cheek headed for the door and quickly Christy stepped to him. She recognized him as one of the engineers compiled for possible recruiting for the prototype construction. His name was Harris if she remembered right.

He brushed past her, appearing to not see her but she quickly stopped with a hand on his arm before he could go through the exit. "Excuse me—"

Slowly the Jude turned glinting eyes to her and it was all Christy could do not to gasp at him. The scar on his face was worse than it appeared on his still-photo. His scathing glare didn't improve his looks much either. Coupled with brick–red skin he resembled those old depictions of the devil, all that was missing was the horns and the pointed tail.