Chapter 7

They planned my kidnapping well. My mom had already gone to bed, she knew that I had work that night so she wasn't worrying where I was. They were experts at this kind of thing, experienced.

I didn't sleep at all that night. I couldn't stop thinking about all the possible ways I was going to find that money but all ended up with me in prison alongside my father. I knew I couldn't obtain it on my own. I needed to speak to my father as soon as possible. I skipped school the next morning and went straight to visit my father at the prison.

My hands were shaking at my side when I stood out the front of the high security prison that held my father. My gaze drew up to the barbed wires that lined the top of the high brick walls and dread pooled in my stomach at how lifeless the place was. There were multiple guards at the front entrance into the building and I curled my shaking hands into fists to hide my anxiety.

I didn't know what to expect because I had never visited my father before, I never forgave him for what he did. I was allowed a twenty-minute visit with my father in a closed off room. The guards had to check me over for any weapons before I entered. Inside was a sterile windowless room with a small table and chairs right in the middle.

I sat down and two guards positioned themselves on either side of me. Both my feet anxiously tapped the floor as I waited. I didn't want to see my father; see the man he had become. But it was too late now, the door swung open and there stood my dad with a wide smile on his face. Great.

Seeing my father for the first time in six months my mind instantly reverted back to when I was a kid. To when he actually cared about his family and he would spend every day after work in the garden helping me search for my brother, Henry.

My brother had a congenital heart defect. He was born with the left side of his heart not formed properly and he needed multiple surgery right after he was born. But the condition was not cured and by the time he was ten, he needed a heart transplant. By some pure luck they found a match for him and a year later he had the surgery. The operation went well and we were all completely ecstatic that Henry was going to have a normal life.

But a few weeks later, Henry started deteriorating and he became deathly ill. We learned that his body was rejecting the new heart. He died a few weeks later. My parents became consumed with grief and I felt like I died along with my brother. After that my life was never the same, my family was never the same. Especially my father. Now when I thought back to that time, I realised that was when he changed, that was when he stopped caring about other people.

My brother looked exactly like my father. But this man in front of me now, doesn't look like either of them. His usual short cropped blonde hair had now grown out to well below his ears and he had dark circles under his eyes. He was wearing an orange prison jump suit where I would never see him in anything other than a suit or smart attire.

He had a black stain on the side of his face and I couldn't tell if it was just dirt or a bruise. But the starkest difference was his eyes, they were defeated and as lifeless as the building he was trapped in. He didn't say anything, even after he had seated in front of me.

"Hi," I greet my dad emotionlessly, not knowing what else to say to the man that ruined your life. His smile fell off his face, when he hears the detachment in my voice. I was not here to forgive him.

"Cordelia." Is all he says as tries to reach forwards to touch my hand but the chains and handcuffs holding his hands together restrict him. I snapped my hand back and under the table. He frowns as he saw the way I flinched away from him.

"I know what you are going to say. Your mother has already yelled at me countless times before." He lowered his head and dropped his eyes like he had already accepted my hate. But his words surprised me, I had no idea my mom had been coming to see him. But that wasn't why I was here.