Chapter 12

I felt like a princess in this gorgeous dress. My hair and make-up was professionally styled to perfection. My hair was curled down the side of my face and the rest of my hair flowed down my back. Being this dressed up reminded me of my old life, where I would attend functions on a regular basis and a stab of nostalgia hit me.

Martha had stepped into the other room to grab me a pair of shoes and I had taken a moment to look at myself in the mirror. The bell from the front door chimed and I jumped, stepping to the side where there was a stray piece of hair that had yet to be cleaned up and I tripped sideways.

I grasped out for something to stop my fall and yanked on the curtains by the window but they just fell down with me. My back hit the floor and the curtains fell down on top of me. I closed my eyes as pain stabbed through my back, oh why do these things happen to me?

"Did I really just see you do that?" I heard Asher splutter in disbelief.

I quickly pushed myself off the floor and tried to untangle myself from the curtain. I smiled guiltily up at him when I was free, expecting him to laugh at me. But as soon as the curtain fell from my body, his features become blank. His eyes scanned my body up and down and back to my face again. His mouth even fell open for a second there. I shifted my weight from side to side awkwardly, looking down. My eyebrows tensed together, what was wrong with him? I glanced back up again to see him still staring at me.

"Oh darn. Did that stupid curtain fall down again?" Martha announced as she walked into the room with my shoes. She broke the tension and seemed to knock Asher out of his trance. He blinked a few times and then shook his head repeatedly. Martha returned the curtain to its original place.

Asher and Martha greeted each other like they were old friends and I looked between them curiously. Asher smiled at her warmly one small dimple showing on the side of his face. I felt my mouth fall open; I had never seen him smile before. And smiling with a warmth in his eyes, not ice-cold hate that I am used to seeing. He looked so different when he was actually civil, he was actually quite cute.

"It was very nice to meet you, Cordelia. Asher has never brought a girlfriend over before," Martha's comment snapped me out of my bewildered staring and a blush tainted my cheeks.

"She is not my girlfriend Martha, she is my acquaintance," Asher objected fiercely, probably not wanting me, the snobby rich girl to become too involved with someone in his life.

"Well, I'm glad he brought you here. Asher has never brought a friend along before," she says kindly to me as she hugged me goodbye.

"Acquaintance Martha, Acquaintance," Asher buts in but we ignored him.

"Thank you for all this, " I mutter shyly and she smiled warmly back at me. But before she could respond Asher grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back behind him.

"Right, were off now Martha. Thank you for everything. You're a life saver." Asher quickly tried to say goodbye but Martha enveloped Asher in a hug which he allowed.

Asher pretty much sprinted out of there and I followed him slowly, curious at his behaviour as we made our way to his car. We both climbed into the warmth of the space and Asher turned the ignition on blaring the heater on full blast. Asher didn't start the car like I expected him too. He leant into the back seat and grabbed something out of his backpack.

"I know you probably won't agree with this but you need it in there," he explained evasively as he pulled something metal out of his bag. I gasped in shock when I saw what it was.

A gun.

What on earth did he expect me to do with that? Because I was not using it.

"Here." He extended the gun out to me and nodded his head down at it, signalling for me to take it. I folded my arms against my chest, refusing to take it. I was not killing anybody in my lifetime ever; I refused to become some gang girl.