Chapter 10

The screeching siren of a police car that sped past my apartment building snapped me out of my thoughts. I slowly walked up the stairs to my apartment but before I walked in, I took a few minutes to slow my racing heart. I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Asher had robbed that store. I knew he was the gang leader's son but I didn't know that he actually did gang related jobs for him, that he was a criminal.

Travis was the worst of them all, he had actually shot the cashier and if Asher hadn't jumped in then he could be dead right now. I had the ability to ensure that he went behind bars, I knew that I was going to tell the police about this, no matter what Asher says to me. Then there was Asher, he was the leader in all this, he probably planned it all. But I couldn't help thinking about the way he protected me from Travis. Maybe he just felt obliged to help me because his father needed me to get this money.

"Cordelia," my mother called when I walked into the room after giving up trying to unravel Asher's actions.

"Yes?" I answered back, searching around to find mom standing in front of the television.

"Look at this." Her voice was muffled as her hand was over her mouth and I instantly became alert.

"What is it?" I asked, alarmed.

"Look." She pointed to the television and I directed my eyes there to see a news reporter standing outside a petrol station. Blue police lights were flashing and the shot showed a paramedic rushing a man on a stretcher into an ambulance.

"In total, fifteen stores were hit at the exact same time. The police have been trying to find video footage of the attacks, but all the cameras were deactivated during the attacks. Is it estimated so far they have collectively stolen one hundred thousand dollars. Two people were injured during the attacks, including this man," the reporter explained hauntingly before the story switched to ask for information about a stolen black expensive looking car.

I shrunk back as my mind reeled from this new information. Asher and his friends weren't working alone, sixteen other stories were broken into at the exact same time. That could only mean that they were stealing that money for someone else and they were a part of a much larger organisation. And the only person Asher has connections to is his father.

I knew exactly who orchestrated the attacks. Neil Blaketon's gang.

***

I slept restlessly that night so I wasn't in a deep sleep when I heard the soft creak of my room door opening. My eyes burst open instantly as I came to my sense's straightaway, picturing men in balaclavas with guns and gang members. There was a small ray of light illuminating my room from moon streaming in through the open curtains. I darted my eyes around the room to see nothing there.

I dropped my straining neck back against the pillow and snuggled back into the covers with my goat teddy. I started to fall back to sleep again when the light from the moon that was shining on my eyelids disappeared. My eyes flew open and I screamed when I saw a black figure standing right in front of me. My muscles became paralysed as I stared wide eyes up at the person in my room. The figure leaped at me and a hand was placed harshly over my mouth, silencing my scream.

"Shh, shut up," a male voice grumbled just as he moved forward into the light so I could see his messy black hair and piercing blue stormy eyes. Asher. What on earth is he doing in my room?

I pressed my mouth together to stop my scream and leaned back in relief that no one was going to kill me tonight. Well, I hoped not.

When he knew I had recognised him, he released his hand over my mouth.

"What are you doing in here?" I hissed at him, hitting his hand to the side and away from me. How the hell did he get into my room? I jumped up from my bed, sitting up and looked around disoriented to find my door completely shut and everything in its usual place.