Chapter 24

At the ** play Somewhere Only We Know by Keane if you want some feels

KAGEYAMA'S POV:

It was mid-January and everyone was back to school, which meant volleyball again. I sat in my Maths class staring out the window at the snow-covered ground outside. It was deserted other than the occasional bird landing on a leafless tree, its long branches coated in icicles melting onto the ground underneath from the sun. As cold as it was, I'd rather have been out there than in here having to learn shit I don't understand. At least out there I could be playing volleyball with—

"Mr. Kageyama, do you mind telling us your answer for question 4?"

I snapped back into reality and shot my focus from the window to the teacher, a wave of panic washing over me.

"Oh-um, 27?" I guessed.

"Not quite, the answer is 482," She answered tiredly, turning to the board to write it down.

Man fuck this.

After a couple more hours of jail time I finally headed over to the gym. I wiped my shoes on the concrete outside and headed into the locker room, immediately searching for my warm-up partner. Hinata was sitting by the far wall changing. I walked over and sat my things down beside him, sitting myself down as well.

"What's up," I greeted as I fished out my clothes from my bag.

"Hey!" He responded, slipping his shoes on and hastily knotting the laces.

I chuckled, "Stop tying your shoes, you forgot to put your knee pads on dumbass."

We had been dating since Christmas, and granted that was only like three weeks ago, everything was perfect. So perfect.

Too perfect.

While I've let Hinata emotionally in up until now, I could feel myself grow more and more reluctant with each step in the relationship. Every new date, every secret I told, every time I said "I love you", it felt weird. Every time I looked at him I felt this guilt, this feeling like my stomach was eating away at itself. My love for him was growing, and so was my paranoia.

"You okay?" He asked. I looked him in the eyes, I could tell he knew something was off.

"Yeah just tired," I responded, standing up.

"Okay, if you need to talk I'm here," he smiled. I looked around, no one was in the room. I grabbed his waste and leaned in, giving him a long peck on the lips.

"Thank you. But just so you know I'm gonna totally destroy you in the serving drill today," I teased, kissing him quickly again and sprinting out of the room to the gym.

"YOU GOT A HEAD START THIS DOESN'T COUNT!" I heard from behind me.

We raced to the gym and entered, both with our heads down and panting.

"About damn time, you lovebirds are 5 minutes late!" Coach Ukai scolded.

We apologized and grouped up with the others, warming up then going into serving drills. While we never outright stated that we were dating, it was obvious that most if not all of the team knew it. As practice ended we gathered around the whiteboard as Coach talked about our strategies for the tournament coming up. Even though this was about volleyball, I still couldn't concentrate on anything other than that feeling in my stomach thanks to the shorty sitting next to me.