Chapter 23 (Christmas Special)

Disclaimer: I am not implying that Hinata or Kageyama are canonically Christian nor follow Christian holidays. It is through artistic liberation in this work that I decided to make them celebrate Christmas. Not sure if this is controversial or not, but feel free to leave a complaint on this little disclaimer and if asked to I'll take this chapter down :).

KAGEYAMA'S POV:

It had been a couple weeks since the sleepover, and all I'd been able to think about was him. He was in my dreams, everytime I zoned out, when I showered, even when I ate. School had let out a few days ago for the holidays which meant no school, which meant no practice, which meant no him. We called each other and texted constantly, but his family was in town so he couldn't leave to come see me.

Christmas was in two days, tomorrow was Christmas Eve.

I miss him.

I laid in my darkening room, watching the cars pass by outside my window. Some were here to visit, others were headed out, but one underlier was unanimous; they were going to see someone. I got up from my bed for the first time all day and grabbed my phone, checking the time.

6pm.

I recalled the day him and I went to the park and peppered a volleyball. He asked if I wanted to spend Christmas with him. I'd never hold it against him, but I knew even when he said it that it was a spontaneous and half-assed promise. On Christmas morning at 10am, I would FaceTime my mom, then go about the day as any other, then walk the streets alone looking at Christmas lights. That's how it had been for a while, I wasn't expecting anything to change. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a hoodie and jacket, slipping it on with some jeans.

I need to get him a present.

I left the house, not bothering to lock it behind me, and walked the sidewalk to the nearby shops.

It was freezing outside. My slow steps made imprints in the icy snow glued to the sidewalk as I forced myself forward. The wind whipped my face, forcing me to occasionally close my eyes as I continued walking. My hands stayed in my pockets, my entire body shivering. Finally, I reached the first shop in a line of little family owned stores. I opened the door and immediately felt relief from the wind and cold.

"Hi!" I heard from across the store. I met the gaze of the cashier and waved back to her.

"Are you looking for anything specific?" She asked.

"No, I'm just looking," I responded politely and walked back into the shop. It was an eclectic little shop filled with random merchandise; Notebooks, coffee mugs, records, etc. As I walked the shop I thought about what I should get.

Something volleyball related would work, but that's not very personal. I don't want it to be tacky or cliche though. Maybe something useful like a... blender. Should I get him a blender?

"Are you still going okay?" The lady asked once I reached the front of the shop again.

"Yeah, um, do you have a blender?" I asked.

The lady laughed. "Not in a shop like this, you might want to check an appliance store. Are you shopping for your mother?"

"What? No," the question disgusted me. "I'm looking for something I could give to my, well, my,—something romantic, kinda, that has meaning to it. But nothing dumb, and, well, I want it to be useful. Or not, I don't kno-"

"Kageyama?" I heard from behind me. I whipped around to see Sugawara standing in one of the aisles.

"Oh thank god your friend is here, I have no idea how to help you," the cashier laughed.