Chapter 14

KAGEYAMA'S POV:

The sun sank under the horizon of Tokyo, leaving the sky displaying pastel pinks and blues as it slowly grew darker around us, the temperature dropping with the sun. We walked down a narrow side road, our only source of light down it being the neon glowing signs shown above us and through either end of the road. The pavement turned to steps leading upwards, the graffiti-covered walls enclosing us and forcing us to ascend onto the stairs. I led as Hinata followed closely behind. There was silence as we made our way up through the narrow passageway, each of us lost in thought about the other. It was close to pitch black here, I thought about holding Hinata's hand. I could sense his hesitant aura as we walked along the sightless walkway, his pace slowing as he began to get more and more weary as he stepped. I grabbed his hand and he immediately clung to my arm.

Cute.

The sound of our footsteps gradually diminished into the chaotic noises of the city as we emerged from the ground. We hadn't been this way before, I assumed I would find some kind of ice cream parlor if we just winged it. We seemed to be on another level of the city. There was no roads for cars, only a large open sidewalk for people to walk along. On either side of the pedestrian road were shops like main Tokyo, however these shops had something special to them. They held character, held a homey, inviting feeling. While everyone was strangers, It felt like everyone on this road was family. The feeling completely enveloped me, and filled an empty feeling I didn't know I was carrying. Hinata laughed and I looked down at him. He pointed his finger at my mouth.

"You're smiling again." He said, his words being followed by a cloud of smoke from the cold. Even though it was now completely night, the artificial light radiating around us allowed me to see his face and his little white ball cap he had on his head.

I stared at him, and I didn't bother to cover my mouth like last time. I embraced this feeling, a feeling I never got from sleeping alone in my dark, lonely house. The house I could make an echo in even though it was inhabited and furnished. The silent nights where I would put the TV on downstairs just to pretend my dad was watching it. The days when I would save portions of my dinner from the shops in the fridge for my mom, on the rare occasion that she would come home. The worst memories, however, were when she did come home. Her distant love taunting me and forcing me to put on an act of fake satisfaction with my situation. But now, as I looked at the boy in front of me, that feeling was nowhere to be felt. I didn't have to fake anything, this was genuine. It was genuine...

Happiness.

An overwhelming feeling of emotion took over me. My throat got tight and a bubbly feeling of heat rose in my stomach, making me fight off an urge to scream. My eyes began to water and my fingertips tingled. I was still smiling, but my mouth was now wavering as well.

"Hey Kags, you alright?"

I opening my mouth to speak but my eyes teared up more and my throat denied me to created words. A single tear rolled down my cheek, and I quickly looked away. Calming down, I spoke with a shaky voice.

"I'm just happy right now that's all. Come on dumbass let's find some ice cream."

We walked down the road still holding hands and found a small shop, each of us getting a waffle cone. There was a odd comfort to being around complete strangers that you'll never see again. There was no shame nor hesitation in my actions from the judgement of the people around me.

We sat down in a little seating area infront of the shop. It consisted of three black metal tables in a triangle, two chairs for each table. Lights hung from umbrella to umbrella, surrounding the heater placed in the center of all three. We sat and ate our ice cream.

"What flavor did you get again?" Hinata energetically questioned, eyeing my ice cream.

"Cappuccino. You?"

"Mint chocolate." He said. "Can I try yours please?"

I was about to hand it to him, but he was already leaned over the table with his tongue out, trying to lick it. I tipped his hat down over his eyes and pushed him back, laughing.

"Hold on! But I'm holding it because I don't trust you." I said, extending my arm. He licked it while making eye contact with me. I got a shiver on the back of my neck and my face flushed. I looked away.

Stop thinking like that Tobio you sick fuck.

"Kags you're spilling your ice cream!" I looked back to half my ice cream on the table, dripping to the ground through the metal's gaps.

It was Hinata's turn to extend his ice cream to be. "Here have some of mine!"

I gulped.

"I'm gonna get a spoon."

HINATA'S POV:

As Kageyama left to get a spoon, I had a solid 45 seconds to think. I had 45 second to think about my situation. My bizarre and unbelievably lucky situation. I was eating ice cream with a happy and teasing Tobio Kageyama. It seemed like after he let out that single tear, an overwhelming weight had been lifted off him.

I love this Kageyama. But honestly I love Kageyama regardless.

WHAT?

He came back and sat down, looking at me with confusion. I had my knees pulled up to my ears with my head resting in it and my hat covering my eyes. I was visibly shaking. That was the first time I admitted to myself how I feel. While denial still lingered over me, I knew it was true.

"Are you cold?" He said with concern.

I decided to run with that, even though I was sitting next to a nine foot heater in pants and a jacket. "A little."

He stood up. "Come on let's walk back to the hotel-"

"No!" I frantically responded. "I mean, I'm having fun sitting and talking to you right now. Can't we stay for a little longer?"

The setter checked the time on his phone. "I guess we could stay for another 20 if you want to." I nodded and he sat back down.

We talked about volleyball, the Nekoma game tomorrow, and other random topics. Every time he spoke, I watched his mouth move with the words, I followed his hands with my eyes as  he moved them with his story. I listened to his voice, getting small shivers every time it would drop in pitch. Eventually the twenty minutes was up and we walked back to the hotel. I ran into the room, dropping my jacket on the floor and scurrying under the covers of my bed.

Kageyama made his way over to the thermostat. "Okay it's our first night here, how cold do you want the temperature?"

I peeked my head halfway out of the covers. "I usually have it at 79."

"79?! I have mine at 57!" He shouted.

I gasped. "But sleeping in the cold gives you nightmares!"

"Well sleeping in the heat isn't comfortable!" He retorted. He looked at me, then back to the thermostat. "How about we compromise and set it to 68?"

He look his shirt and sweatpants off, standing over his suitcase in nothing but boxers. I tried not to stare but I couldn't stop. He turned to me sitting in my bed and raised his eyebrows. I was wearing boxers as well, and Kageyama's hoodie. He walked over to me, smirking.

"Oi, what are you wearing?" He teased.

I crossed my arms. "It's comfortable. If you got a problem with it then take it off."

He laughed and walked over to his bed.

"Don't tempt me."