VII

VII.

THE MUSIC IN THE CAR blared out from the stereo as I pulled onto the by-pass heading towards town with the heat on high, the weather has taken an unexpected cold turn over the night, everything the chilled, wind touched turned to frost and ice. I couldn't help but sing and dance when I stopped at a red light, the driver in the car next to me gave me a strange leaving my cheeks burning when I turned around and face forward to act like I wasn't doing anything. When the light turned green I accelerated towards the hardware store where Amanda worked at. Our weekend arrangements were decided a few weeks ago after the incident in the library with Chrissy and Ryan's hound telling her where we were and it's better this way. Amanda can work on the weekends for extra money for opening up the store and booking in the new deliveries. I didn't mind taking her to work in the mornings and I don't mind picking her up when she finishes.

I'm glad for the fresh start and newfound friendship, opening my eyes to see that Amanda wasn't as bad as the other two and that she tried to keep out of mine and Chrissy's feud. It took me a few days getting used to her being in my house instead of me being on my own, Ryan still having his hissy-fit from our argument, however, he still texts me to check I'm okay but reminds me that he is still mad and that I owe him an apology.

My eyes quickly looked at the time in my car, giving me five-minutes to arrive outside of her work, I always made sure I was there early rather than late and with how cold it is this afternoon, the sun failing to make the day somewhat warmer as autumn was slowly moving on into winter a lot sooner than I'd have hoped for.

I pulled into the car park taking a space closest to the store and waited idly as I scrolled through my phone to occupy myself, glancing up now and then. It wasn't too long until the car door opened making me jump a little in the seat, I greeted her with a warm smile as she clambered in, a heavy sigh coming from her when she slumped back into the seat before she smiled at me.

"Hi," she breathed and done her seat belt up.

I once said that I didn't like to pass around small talk but the longer I've been hanging around with Amanda which has been almost a daily thing, I now look forward to hearing about her day and how work has been, I mean she listens to my days even if I just moan she still shows interest. Being friends with a girl that isn't related to Ryan is nice, at least I'm not sat here listening to what guy she slept with the other day, that we hold a conversation that lasted longer than ten minutes.

It wasn't long until I pulled up outside her house, cutting short what would have been a forty-five-minute walk into fifteen. I turned my head to see her staring at me when I gave her a questioning look.

"Rebecca, you're going to have to come in at some point." She commented as her handheld onto the door handle, "a promise, is a promise." She laughed when I let out a long groan and turned the car off to get out too.

I walked around the front of the car until I came to her side the both of us walked up to her driveway. She pushed open the front, she called out to her mother that she was home and just going to get quickly changed as she leapt two stairs at a time leaving me alone in the hallway as I wished I stayed in the car. I stayed by the front door awkwardly, silently telling Amanda to get changed quicker. My head snapped towards a door frame down the narrow hallway when a head peered around the corner, assuming the person is her mum. I gave her a small smile and a wave hello when she came into full view.

I was a little taken back by how different Amanda looked to her mum, she was fair-haired instead of a deep brown, her skin complexion was a lot lighter to Amanda's which was a dark olive colour.

"You must be Rebecca, I'm Amanda's mum, Joy." She spoke with a smile.

"Nice to meet you," I smiled trying to act confident when I felt like I was under scrutiny.