XV

XV.

SITTING IN THE KITCHEN I was listening to my mum rambling on and on down the phone in an attempt to get my dad to babysit me, hearing his response when he repeatedly told her I was old enough to be left alone and she's done it many times before. A smug smile pulled at my lips when I placed my hands over my mouth so she couldn't see my satisfaction that for once she wasn't getting her way, her usual response was to hang up after getting the last word in. I didn't see why calling my dad would have ever been an option since I don't talk or see him, the only thing I have in contact with him is when he pays money into my bank because he doesn't want it to go into my mother's pocket.

However, her response for the other night is to ruin my whole social life, already disliking the fact I go to school with Amanda and have a class with her. A few days ago she said she was, 'this close,' to making me go stay with other family member and how I'm lucky I have exams and need to be in school.

As I took a sip of my water, I watched her hold the phone back up to her ear while I zoned out when she left the kitchen to answer the front door. I heard Ryan's voice from down the hallway when he wished my mum good morning, even though today has been a shit morning but whatever.

When Ryan stepped into the kitchen he had a smile on his face only for it to fall when he glanced at me, probably sensing that something is going on when he sat on the barstool next to me. He didn't say a word and just looked at me with a concerned expression while I shook my head, already knowing it was my mother. Having been my friend for as long he has, he knows that whenever my mum comes home my mood shifts and changes. He knew I had a strained relationship with my mum and we would always buttheads and rarely stay on the same page.

Ryan and I sat in silence while I tried to eavesdrop on what she was talking about on the phone and who it was, dreading what master plans she has dug up when her voice sounded slightly happier, leaving me to groan and rest my head in my hands. Wishing I could just disappear from this house. She has no right to be acting like this, especially when it comes to who I was to see, regardless of if it's a boy or girl. At least I know where I stand now with her and I didn't have to keep guessing if she liked me because right now I know she hates who her daughter is becoming, when I finally felt like my feet were in place and I was happy with myself.

I lifted my head from my hands when my mum walked back into the kitchen a smug smile on her face that made my stomach start to feel sick. I still haven't told Ryan about Amanda and me, never finding the right time and now with my mum finding out what if Ryan hopped onto her bandwagon. I tried to fight back the urge to cry, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of breaking me down more than she already has.

"I have to go away for a few days," that sentence grabbing my attention when I sat up, feeling somewhat hopeful.

"Does that mean I can have my car back?" not letting her finish whatever it was she was going to say.

"No, I've arranged for you to go to your aunts for a few days while I'm gone." Her voice sounding triumphant at making her daughter miserable. Also, I have nothing to do with the rest of the family, this is more torture than being cruel.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I half-shouted as I got up from my stool, the legs scraping along the slate floor, feeling Ryan take my hand like I was going to lunge for her. "I have work and exams. I'm not going." Trying to stand my ground.

"What's going on?" Ryan perked up as he looked between the two of us when he had no idea what was going on.

"Rebecca has hit a brick wall," my mother began to say when I let out a scoff at her lack of imagination on the problem at hand.

"I'm climbing the brick wall." I shrugged when she glared at me. "Ryan, she has just found out her daughter has been fucking a girl and the only one who's hit the 'brick wall'," I air quoted, "is her. So no, no I'm not going." My hands clenching into fists while tears started to brim my eyes.