XVII

XVII.

WE ARRIVED AT THE LAKE house just gone ten in the morning, Amanda's mum making sure before we left that I was okay to be driving a long distance. In regards to how I looked, Joy was most definitely right about looking worse and was DeCeno right, I did look like I lost a fight with a bear. The bruising along the bridge of my nose spread under my right eye into a dark purple colour, my chin not looking any better, the bruising the colour of black. It looked like someone smudged a black pen across my chin to my jaw. The gash on my upper lip was going to scar me. I ran my fingers over the sutures on my upper lip, I wish I got to see it before they stitched it closed.

When we finally got to the lake house, which in my eyes looked more like a cosy cabin but whatever makes my parents happy to call it, I went straight to the fireplace and started to pile the kindle and add bits of dry flower stems before lighting it.

Once I got the fire going, hoping it would take the chill from inside the cabin, warming my hands up before I walked over to Amanda to hug her from behind, my hands going under her shirt when I put my warm hands on her stomach.

"You feel like a space heater," she murmured when she turns around, my hands on the small of her back when I pulled her into me more. Her hands ran up my chest to snake around my neck with a smile on her face.

"There are plenty of other ways we can warm up," I suggested on how to get warm when she slapped me playfully.

"No, Wilson," she deadpanned when I over-dramatically pouted at her, her lips pressing against mine when I tightened my arms around her. "Now let me put this away," her hand pushing me back, my hands still on her hips.

I helped her put away the bits of food we got on the way here, probably going to have to stop at the shops to get some more and whatever else we might need. I went back to tending the fire, taking a pillow from the sofa to sit on, putting in a few more logs, the cabin already starting to feel cosy. There is nothing better than a log fire, the flames catching you in a trance with the sound of the wood letting out a crackle and a pop.

For the remainder of the day, we took a walk down towards the lake, the snow coming down in large flurries, the sky in the distance looking black, knowing we are meant to have a snowstorm at some point tonight.

We took a little stroll along the edge of the water, trying to make our way back when we kept slipping in the mud when I finally fell over, dragging Amanda down with me as she let out a small scream, her fist catching me in the chin on accident. I let out a few profanities while holding my jaw when she quickly sat up and moved my hand out the way to look at the stitches and the wound, all I wanted to do was grab a handful of snow and hold it to the cut, my chin feeling insanely hot.

"I am so sorry," she quickly apologised as she tried to get onto her feet to help pull me up.

"I'm fine," I smiled, touching the heel of my palm to it, the area warmer than the rest of my skin.

We took a slow steady walk back to the log house, the snow becoming several inches deeper by the time we got back inside, the cabin nice and warm, warm enough to make my fingers tingle with temperature change. I shrugged off my wet jacket and slung it over one of the wooden chairs when I made my way towards the fire, slumping down on the floor so I could warm my feet up and in the hope the warmth would also dry out my shoes for tomorrow.

We stayed sat down on the rug that covered the wooden floor most of the evening, just talking and laughing amongst ourselves, looking back at our earlier school years and the terrible choices we had made. I think getting away for a few days was a good idea, escaping from that town, from them all. Giving myself time to rest and forget, even though my face right now is a constant reminder and looking worse for wear, knowing the healing part hasn't set in yet in regards to the bruising.