X

X .

THE MORNING WAS SUNNY BUT left an icy cold chill in the air that nipped at your cheeks and allowed you to see every exhale you took, just the walk to my car I needed to put my coat on so I could turn the engine on and allow it to heat up, at least then scrapping the ice from the windows would be easier.

Ryan and I finally resolved our lovers' quarrel but I was the one who had to apologise because I didn't accept his weak apology, and with him being him, he played on it until he wanted to talk to me about this new girl he's pining which wasn't too soon after. He still wouldn't tell me the name but was giving hints away that it's someone I know. At this point, it could be anybody.

As for Amanda and I, I don't have much to comment on, we had one date in which I was left defeated with my tail between my legs. We haven't had any conversations in where our relationship was going or what was going to happen next as she left the ball in my court, telling me I can go as slow as I want and that we don't have to rush anything. I was glad that she was fine with this but I couldn't help the niggling that was gnawing at my stomach the more I thought about it.

I knew I had to return my appreciation for her taking me out and since the school was cancelled due to loss of heating from the ice that swept its way through the town last night, I thought we should make the most of the morning and grab some breakfast since we were already awake, not hearing about the school closure until fifteen minutes ago when she messaged me.

Once the ice on my car had begun to thaw and the inside was beginning to warm up, I started scraping the ice from the window, not taking as long as usual but it still froze my fingers all the same. I quickly climbed on inside, holding my hands over the heating vents, my finger bright red from the cold. I slowly began to warm up when my fingers started to feel itchy and the chill from outside was no longer clinging to me.

By the time I hit the by-pass I was already shrugging off my coat not wanting to turn down the heat, from up ahead I saw brake lights flashing on and off when the salt gritters passed on by, warning signs of ice already placed along the roadside. Usually, they are never this prepared unless we are expecting a bad winter and even then they aren't, at least people are listening with I included in that since I'm not in a rush to get anywhere today.

It took me a little over ten-minutes longer to get to Amanda's house, the traffic not being as bad as I thought it would have been, giving myself the much-needed pep talk along the way until I pulled up outside her house the whole big me up talk going out the window along with my make-belief confidence.

To steady my nerves I took a deep breath in and out as I climbed on out of the car, my feet already taking me up her driveway and to the front door. I gave a knock on her front door when I realised I left my coat inside my car as I looked behind me, my head snapped forward when the front door opened to be greeted by her mum. I went to open my mouth with a simple hello but that seemed to fail me when she joined me outside, making sure she let the door click shut quietly behind her.

"What do you want with my daughter, Rebecca?" her voice sounding somewhat hostile towards me as I cocked my head not understanding where she was going with this or how to answer her questions.

"I'm just here to ask if she'd like to get some breakfast with me, that's all." Trying to show her I wasn't looking for anything else if this is what she was meaning.

With her lips pressed together into a thin line she looked me over, "that's what they have all said in the past."

"Honestly I have no idea what you are going on about, I just want to take her out for breakfast to re-pay her for taking me out," trying to defend myself when she pursed her lips, arms crossed over her chest.