XIII

XIII .

OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS, Amanda kept me company, meaning that in more ways than one. The weekend had ended far too soon when we had to be reminded that school still existed somewhere in between our daydream, the thought of having to keep away from and my hands to myself felt like it was going to be impossible. At least in these past couple of mornings, I had her before we even left for school, sharing a few kisses here and there when we could, her hands always running over my shoulders, sometimes into my hair when it would be down which always felt the best.

This morning though felt like something was off as I watched Amanda walk around her small but spacious kitchen while I took small bites from my toast, I arched an eyebrow when she threw something into the sink a little harder than necessary.

"What are you getting huffy about?" I spoke up once I finished my toast, placing the plate into the stainless steel sink, as I stood next to her, my fingers gently moving her hair out of her face when she stood up straight.

"Not now, Wilson." She snapped, making me hold my hands up in defence as she pushed off the counter to leave the kitchen and go upstairs, not understanding how I touched a nerve so quick, usually it takes half a day to get there.

"I'll be waiting in the car," I called up the stairs, waiting for a response that never came.

I mumbled out a simple whatever underneath my breath as I left the house, leaving the door open for her when she would finally decide to join me as I walked down the driveway to my car. The road conditions had me double thinking on whether to drive or walk to school, knowing though that if I chose to walk it would only annoy DeCeno even further than having to go to school.

With a long sigh, I turned on the car's engine, going to drive as far as it will take me in this snow while I set to scraping the snow and ice from off the windshield, the inside starting to warm up when the ice was easier to clear. I heard a door shut when I saw Amanda lock up and start heading my way, her head hung down, looking up briefly as she gave me a weak smile before she climbed into the car.

Once the window was cleared and defrosted, I climbed into the driver's seat, quickly taking a glance at her while she was staring at her phone before replying to a message. I held my hands out on the heater to try and bring life back to my fingertips as I clenched and unclenches them multiple time to get the blood back into them, knowing I was all good when they started to prickle and go itchy as they warmed up. I pulled away from the kerb with my tyre sliding before it gained traction and I could slowly creep from out of her close and get to school.

For a journey that usually takes a little under ten minutes from her house and ended up taking half an hour, with slow-paced traffic and the means of keeping my speed slow so I wouldn't skid, even though whenever I came to a stop my car would slide an extra few meters than where I wanted to stop. I was glad when I pulled into the school's entrance, the caretaker had cleared the snow out of the parking area. When I pulled into a parking bay, I looked at the crowd of people, my eyes landing on Chrissy amongst the other students, glad she wasn't looking my way.

The car had just finished parking when Amanda practically threw herself out the door. I grabbed my rucksack and took a deep breath in as I pulled the keys from the ignition and climbed out, slamming the door shut so I could catch up with her.

"Stop," I called as I grabbed her wrist and pulled her to a stop when she turned to face me. "What's wrong, DeCeno?" my voice sounding slightly frustrated, trying to not take my annoyance out on her.

She gave me a simple shrug when she looked over her shoulder towards the school, "I just don't want to be here."

"Then we can go home and skip the day," my voice going soft as I looked into her dark brown eyes when she looked back at me.