IX

IX .

RYAN CAME ON OVER TO talk about his most recent heartbreak on how he and Catherine had something special which left me feeling nauseated, hoping that he wasn't being serious. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether he was being for real and honest and if he is honestly feeling this way then he needs a good slap back into reality. It's been a week or two since they finished the short-lived relationship, still not really knowing the reason as to why they broke up, nor caring enough to ask. He will, sure enough, find someone else to replace her and will occupy all his attention for the first week or two, I hate to say it but he can be a womaniser when he feels like being a sleazy dog.

When he finished his emotional spillage and telling me that he has his sights on somebody else I had to cut him off and make him explain, but he was being far too secretive with who it might be and all I'm left thinking is that it's going to be someone I'm not going to like. Whatever makes him happy I guess.

He stayed for a little over an hour, something in the pit of my stomach feeling uneasy, I sensed that he was acting a little off with me. I hope I wasn't the reason for the two of them ending. As much as I disliked her I'd never ask or tell him to do something like that.

I pushed the thought to the back of my head knowing there was nothing that I could do at this moment other than wuss out and send an apology text. Either way, I'd be shooting in the dark on what happened. I quickly read the time on my phone deciding to go into work early, no point dragging my feet around.

Upon leaving the house with my car keys in hand, I clambered on inside checking the back seat for my work uniform, having to double-take when I didn't spot the black apron and shirt. I sat silently for a few seconds trying to think where it could be when I checked the glove box to find it neatly folded and tucked away, Amanda telling me she was sick of seeing it throw in the back. With an eye roll, I took out the uniform and slapped the glove box shut.

Winter was slowly creeping up on the last of the autumn days, leaving an icy lick behind in its tracks. I turned the heating up in the car making a mental note to turn the car on before I get inside next time to allow it to heat up inside, especially since now the temperatures are dropping and I don't feel like scraping the ice from my windows. Turning the music up once I connected my phone, I finally left the house and started to head towards work, praying that it would be nice and warm inside, hoping that the customers weren't born in a barn and knew how to shut the door.

Driving halfway down the by-pass, my phone vibrated with Ryan's name flashing across the screen causing me to roll my eyes as I chose to ignore it, not wanting to start my shift in a pissy mood because I decided to argue with the primadonna. He rang me two more times before sending a text message my way when he learnt that I wasn't going to pick up the phone and answer.

The traffic on the outskirts of town started to come to a standstill when there was flashing lights up ahead, probably a car crash at one of the sharp bends. I'm not going to lie, once or twice around that corner, I have almost veered off from the road, no warnings or signposts to indicate that there is a sharp curve in the road coming up. In the night it was even more dangerous because they are no reflective barriers nor markers to let you know where the edge on the road is, just got to hope you have quick reflexes.

When the slow steady crawl came to a halt I quickly grabbed my phone to read the text, only to find Ryan half-heartedly apologising for something that never crossed my mind to then push the last part of the blame onto me. It was typical of Ryan to make you feel like an arsehole instead of him coming across as one. I chucked my phone to the side to land in the passenger seat, not bothering with messaging him back just letting him have his hissy fit while I waited for his next text on how he didn't mean what he said. I knew his sulking to a 'T' now, him pulling this type of stuff far too often.