VI

VI.

FOR THE REST OF THE week, I tried to avoid talking to or seeing DeCeno and her little clan. Today is Saturday, the day I agreed to meet up with her to get a move on this project instead of keeping it at standstill. Much to my dismay on seeing her, I agreed to work today since someone rang in sick. At least it gave a reason to cancel our plans to get together at the library, we could meet up when I clock off shift in the afternoon, however, I know I wouldn't be in the mood to deal with her. I glanced at the time and quickly sent her a text message when there were no longer any customers, explaining I couldn't meet up with her to work on the project today. Ten minutes after sending the message, I didn't hear anything as I shrugged it off with a slow sigh.

I looked up when I heard the bell above the door ring making me stand up straight with a smile on my face to greet the customer having it leave just as quickly when it was Amanda walking into the coffee house. She carried on staring at her phone she let out a breath of annoyance and put her phone in her pocket, having a feeling she only just read the text that I had sent when she looked up at me, an expression like she was double-taking me not sure whether it was me or someone else. That when her face changed from being annoyed to a look of being almost smug but humoured at the same time.

She placed her hand on the countertop and tapped her fingernails on the wooden surface while giving me a sweet smile like she could do no harm but we all know butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

"Oh, Rebecca, how good it is to see you," Amanda said with a smirk on her dark-rose coloured lips, her white teeth showing slightly between them when she cocked an eyebrow up at me.

"I'm sorry, you're mistaken," I muttered, feeling butt-hurt that I had to be polite because as they say, the customer is always right. "What can I get you?" my voice sound happy and upbeat while I frowned at her.

She stood there and stared at the board behind me taking her time on what she was feeling this morning, the frustration started to slowly grow as I rocked back and forth on my heels.

"What do you want, DeCeno?" my voice coming out curtly as I leant towards her on the counter. Her dark brown eyes looking into mine making my stomach feel weird, her head tilting to the side when she studied my face making me feel uncomfortable as to how close she was to me.

"Your eyes, I never realised they were two different colours." Sounding surprised, but then again she has never gazed into my eyes until now and yet I couldn't find myself to look away.

Her eyes were brown but in the light, they looked like a dark amber colour...

"Are you ordering or not?" I said in a monotone trying to make myself seem indifferent when I looked away, wanting her to order and move on, not looking like star crossed lovers having a silent moment.

"One low-fat, decaf, flat white, please." She smiled.

"One cardboard drink coming up," I commented receiving a glare from Jen.

"So answer my question, Wilson." She showed no intention of giving up.

"I didn't realise you worked here," asking a statement rather than an observation.

"I've worked here for a while, I've never seen you and the rest of them come in here. Let me guess, basic bitch coffee lovers?" my question rhetorical, know what coffee shop I'm talking about since Chrissy is always carrying one of the iced coffees whenever she at school. Glad she's too good for small coffee houses.

"Always so defensive," she chuckled knowing she has burrowed beneath my skin.

"Well, I have you and you bit-. Friends are to blame for that." Catching myself for swearing when Jen cleared her throat with a scowl on her face, knowing I was probably going to be told of later when she leaves.