II

II.

A SINGLE YAWN ESCAPED MY mouth while Ryan played with my toes as I finished my homework for the weekend, I took my glasses off and placed them onto the arm of the sofa as I rubbed my face before I looked at Ryan with a blurry vision. His eyes concentrating on the cartoon playing on the television screen with a smile on his face. I took my feet from his lap as I reached over to throw my textbook onto the coffee table in an attempt to make as much noise as possible, his eyes not moving from off the screen.

If people didn't know Ryan and me, they would probably think we were an item by how we acted towards one another. When in actuality we are just best friends, sure he kisses me and stupid crap like that but it never means anything. Well, I hope not. Don't get me wrong he is a good looking guy, just not my type of guy. The two of us have been friends since the age of five and now here we are with me being seventeen and him a year older and were still joined at the hip, much like when we were kids. Where one of us would go the other would follow. Sure we squabble over completely irrelevant things, but we have never fallen out and refused to not talk to one another. That's normally left between girls that I had been friends with previously. Too much drama that I don't need.

"Do you want to go grab a milkshake with me? I'll buy it." He spoke breaking the silence with his words when the show finished on the television I looked over at him. I looked at the time on my phone reading 7:43 pm, outside already dark from the autumn months as winter was drawing in closer than I would have hoped for the year, the wind starting to feel like ice when the sun was no longer in the sky to take the chill away.

"If you throw in a veggie burger too," I said with a smile making him roll his eyes, I may as well grab some dinner while we're out already knowing I have him wrapped around my little finger so he wouldn't say no. That's another thing about our relationship, he would do anything for me and I would do anything for him... within reason.

"Don't understand why you choose to eat them vile things. Why not have a real burger." He stated his face showing disgust as we got up from off the sofa with him pulling me to my feet with ease. I chose to ignore his comment since I could argue it and ask how can he eat an animal.

We made our way outside the house, leaving him to shut the door like normal since he always allows me to go through first. Such a gentleman. I took my keys out my bag to unlock the car doors as the two of us climbed in, the night air bringing goosebumps to the surface of my skin as the cold wrapped around me making me shiver. The first thing I did when I turned the engine on was to turn the heat on while I buckled up the seatbelt as I turned to look at Ryan, a heavy sigh escaping from his lips while I waited for him to do his seatbelt before driving off. If he had it his way he would never wear a seatbelt, I guess he wouldn't mind head butting the dashboard.

The whole drive to the restaurant Ryan and I argued over my vegetarianism and how he thinks it's stupid to not eat meat as it's part of the dietary requirements. While he ranted about my choice of lifestyle I just rolled my eyes and questioned how he could look at something living and think ' I'm going to cook and eat you ' . I was glad to get out the car to put distance in between the two of us, his mouth still rambling on while I walked away not wanting to hear it anymore.

"...It's like you choose to like girls." He said snapping me out of my ignorant ways of acting him like I couldn't hear him.

I spun around to face him stopping him dead in his tracks with my hand held out in front of me, pushing against his chest to stop him from walking as I hoped I miss heard him and he didn't say what I thought he had just said.

"Excuse me?" I said making him stare at me.

"Oh come on Bec. You ain't fooling anyone, you admitted it to me the night you was drunk." He defended himself while I tried to recall when I told him that I was gay. Not wanting to get into another debate I rolled my eyes and walked away inside of the diner.