III

III .

MY FINGERS TAPPED ABSENT-MINDEDLY ON the surface of the table while my one foot rested on the chair next to me, the only emotion I was feeling this Saturday morning was pure boredom of waiting for Amanda. I don't understand why it was taking her so long to get here unless she didn't know where the library was because maybe she has never been to one, I mean it does have the word 'LIBRARY' attached to the front off the building above the door. I looked to my right at the clock seeing it was five-past-ten, I could still be in bed asleep if the biology teacher didn't pair us together. I took my glasses off and threw them onto the table. Pinching the bridge of my nose I started to feel frustrated inside as I hung my head back and rocked on the chair, for this project I knew I could probably do it on my own not needing a partner. I could just pick a topic and subject and be done with it.

I placed my glasses back on and stood up from the chair to look for the books that I was going to need, silently cursing myself inside when I knew deep down she was going to do this to me and stand me up. So be it, as long as I don't have to see her face or hear her voice I was fine with doing the work on my own. I ran my finger tips along the laminated spines of the books on the shelf, grabbing a variety of different biology books that I needed to get this project started, with an armful I made my way back to where my bag was sat, I placed the pile of five books onto the table while I pulled out my notebook to write down any important information regarding the project, not really knowing what we would be focusing on because she wasn't here yet, so we couldn't decide.

It came closer to an hour later and she was still a no-show while my notebook contained five pages of appropriate draft notes towards different subjects. I kept looking at the clock seeing it was after eleven when I finally decided to give up and close the books to leave in a pile on the table. I just wanted to get out of here, hating that I had already wasted my morning when I could have been doing something important.

I packed my bag and got up, pushing the chair in to leave the library. I smiled my goodbye to the librarian when I exited out the revolving doors to the main street my car was parked on. Taking hold of my hair tie I pulled it free from its usual bun to allow it to fall in delicate waves over my shoulders and chest when I felt a warm hand grab hold of my wrist making me turn around to see who it was.

I pulled my arm free when I saw that it was Amanda a confused look placed on her face as she looked back at me with a questioning gaze, I just looked back at her with annoyance waiting for her to speak up and throw some crappy excuse my way as to why she was late, but it never came instead her eyes looked over my hair since she had never seen it down considering I never see her outside of school. Occasionally she will come into the coffee shop, but like usual my hair is always tied back.

"Where are you going?" she enquired, her dark brown eyes looking into mine while I brushed a hand through my hair and let out an exasperated sigh. She didn't really get to question me when she never showed up at the agreed time.

"Home. I said ten in the morning, not eleven. I left the books on the table for you to put back on the shelf when you're done." I answered walking backwards away from her before turning back around to get to my car, not wanting to stop and listen to her reasons.

I climbed into the driving seat and placed my bag onto the seat next to me while I turned the engine on, buckling myself up before pulling away from the kerb. I reached into my bag to find my phone to quickly send a text Ryan when I saw that I had a missed call from a number that I didn't recognise, I knitted my eyebrows together when I redialed the number when I came to a stop at a red light, holding it up to my ear, the ring tone seeming like it was never ending. As the traffic lights turned green and I was about to put the phone down someone finally answered.