girly girls

+*..*+

tuesday, 1:32pm!!

"and he was like, so hot.. i'm telling you!" ayaka exclaimed with her high pitched voice. "but he was a third year.. i hate being so young!"

you, ayaka and maki sat down at the same table in the cafeteria. it was currently lunch time at aoba johsai high, and the three of you were all sharing maki's fruit platter. you chewed on a piece of pineapple while listening to ayaka rant about a boy she had met at the skate park.

"well, y/n. you've been awfully quiet. have you met any boys?" ayaka glanced over at you, which completely caught you off guard. you watched maki turn her head to look at you, too.

you swallowed your pineapple before replying.

"er- no." you said in a nonchalant tone, using your plastic fork to stab a piece of watermelon. "i mean, i guess there's this one guy. but i don't have a thing for him, no way."

"wait, really?" you hear maki say in disbelief. ayaka looked at you with an intrigued expression on her face. "y/n, talking to a boy? no way!" you rolled your eyes at ayaka's teasing comments.

"aww, that's so cute. what's his name, y/n?" maki asked, a proud smile plastered on her face.

"kageyama tobio."

you watched the expressions on both ayaka and maki's faces drop. you furrowed your eyebrows downward, their reactions confusing you. "what's wrong?"

"are you talking about that one skater, y/n? the black haired guy with the tongue piercing?" ayaka finally spoke up with a questioning tone in her voice.

"yeah. that's definitely him."

"you're kidding." maki eventually chimed in.

"i'm not.. why?" you questioned back. why were they doubting you?

"i donno. maybe because he's like, the most well-known skater there? the hottest one, even? it's kind of hard to believe a girl like you would associate themselves with someone like that, no offense." maki said, a hint of sarcasm lurking in her words.

"what do you mean by that?" you asked defensively, lifting the fork to your mouth and eating the piece of watermelon.

"like, you're quiet and different. you're not like other girls, to put in simpler words." ayaka said, and you weren't sure if you were supposed to be offended or not.

"and whats wrong with that?"

"y/n. i love you, so i'm just gonna say this out front since i don't want you to get hurt." maki took in a deep breath before speaking again. "kageyama-kun doesn't like quiet girls like you. you have no chance with him, so i suggest you stay far away. kageyama likes girly girls, all guys do! he's just messing with you cause you're easy, so don't fall for his tricks. ayaka and i know how soft you are, and kageyama is just manipulating you. like a puppet." she moved her hands, mimicking the movements of a puppeteer controlling a puppet.

you felt tears welling in your eyes with the hurtful comments coming from your friends. you weren't even interested in him in the first place, but you felt as if they were judging you; making fun of your personality and the way you acted. they were right; you weren't like other girls your age. you didn't like makeup, you didn't like fashion or jewelry, you weren't boy crazy. you didn't like what society deemed 'girly' in general. but that didn't make you any less of a girl, you knew that especially.

but you brushed off those emotions, listening to their words. after all, they were probably just trying to help you.

"okay, thanks." were the words you helplessly pushed out. you saw smiles appear on the faces of your friends before they spoke again.

"we're just trying to help you, so cheer up, babe!"

+*..*+