statue

+*..*+

"you really don't remember me, y/n, do you?"

kageyama's words lingered in your mind, but you didn't seem to understand what he meant. you looked up at the ravenette, completely bewildered.

"what do you mean?" you asked softly, placing your cold water bottle on top of the marble island beside you. you gave him your full, undivided attention.

kageyama placed his water bottle down next to yours before speaking again.

"can i finish my story? the one i was telling you about after that volleyball game, in the hallway?"

"yeah. go for it."

kageyama leaned his weight on the counter, not losing the eye contact between the two of you.

"the relationship i had with oikawa-san was weird—we were teammates on kitagawa daiichi, but we acted more like rivals. everyone saw it too; the competitiveness between us."

"wait- really?"

the ravenette nodded his head.

"we never got along, even though i tried really hard to become friends with him at the start. he always seemed to have a reason to push me away. i always thought it was because i was two years younger, but later i realized that it was much more than that."

you remained silent as he spoke, listening closely to everything he said.

"after a practice one time, i had asked him to teach me how to serve. he ended up slapping me. and i swear—i had never seen oikawa-san so provoked before. i hated myself for being the one to make him angry like that, especially since i looked up to him so much."

memories of your junior high years began flooding your mind hearing his words. everything was adding up now.

"tobio, was that you? the boy under the tree?"

kageyama nodded again.

"yeah it—wait, what are you doing?"

kageyama said, shocked when you had reached over to caress his cheek. you rubbed your thumb against his warm skin, more specifically the spot where your brother had slapped him three years ago.

the boy was so tense under your touch. it was almost as if you were holding a statue; just a block of hard stone that didn't even move with the feeling of your cold hand. you continued to hold his face regardless.

"i'm sorry i wasn't able to do much for you back then."

the ravenette remained silent; the only noise audible in the room being the sound of his soft breathing. you stared directly into his blue eyes.

"but look how you turned out. you didn't need tooru, because you learned how to serve all by yourself. and you got good at it too—i saw!"

kageyama looked down at you with those same glowing eyes he had three years ago.

"er- thanks."

you smiled with kageyama's timid reply. you figured that he just wasn't good at taking compliments, in which you understood fully, so his hesitant words didn't bother you. eventually, your arms found themselves wrapped around the taller boy's neck, pulling him into a warm hug.

you rested your head on his chest, listening to the sound of his heartbeat thumping repeatedly. it took kageyama a couple seconds before he finally slipped his arms around your waist, returning the hug. you inhaled softly, taking in the scent of his subtle, yet alluring cologne.

the ravenette rested his head on your shoulder, his toned chest pressed up against your stomach. you closed your eyes with the comfortable feeling of being in his arms.

"even though he's your brother, you still take the time to consider my feelings." kageyama mumbled quietly into your ear, breaking the brief silence. "and i appreciate you so much for that, y/n."

+*..*+