hospital

+*..*+

"what?"

"the nurse said- scratch that. i saw tobio walking out of the hospital with that orange haired kid from karasuno. when i asked the nurse how you got here, they said that he carried you."

you felt your heart drop with tooru's explanation, making you sit there in complete silence not knowing how to reply. with the awkward eye contact, your eyes shifted down to your lap, making your hands intertwine with each other.

"please say something, y/n. you've been hanging out with them behind my back, haven't you?" tooru's voice cracked as he spoke, "even after i said not to."

"tooru, please don't do this-"

"do what?!" tooru's voice rose, yelling at you now, "what am i doing, huh? i've been here trusting you this whole entire time, and you've been lying to me?"

"please, don't yell-"

"i don't care! tobio is the reason why i'm like this! the reason why i'm so hard on myself, the reason why i hate myself for not being enough. it's all because of him. i hate him!"

"what has he done to you, tooru?!" you finally snapped, yelling back at the angry brunette, "all tobio wanted was to be your friend, but you let your entitlement and selfishness get in the way! you did this to yourself—tobio never wanted to be your enemy! why can't you just understand that?!"

a nurse quickly walked into the room, interrupting your quarrel with tooru.

"please be quiet! patients are here trying to sleep!"

tooru relaxed his shoulders with the sound of her voice. he swiped your phone from off the counter and approached the door, "my apologies. i'll be heading out right now."

"tooru! you can't just leave me here!"

"i'll have mom pick you up after work. i can't deal with this right now."

***

the sun had already set and it was completely dark outside. tooru had left you there at the hospital all alone, not having cared about your wellbeing, which you'd admit hurt your sensitive heart a little more than it should've. you sat in the back of your mom's car with your leg elevated as she drove you home.

"be careful next time, y/n! breaking a leg hurts like a bitch, trust me, i understand."

you nodded with your mother's words, but they practically went in through one ear and out the other with not much thought. all you could think about was what tooru had said.

was tobio really the reason for his absurd competitiveness?

your mom pulled into the driveway, pulling you out of your train of thought. you looked up at your house through the windshield, seeing tooru's light illuminating from his room, causing you to gulp nervously. you knew you couldn't avoid him forever, especially since he was your brother and you couldn't escape his presence while living under the same roof.

your mother opened your door and assisted you out of the car, handing you your brand new crutches,

"you're gonna have to get used to those."

"yeah." you placed one underneath each underarm which allowed you to stand upright with no problems whatsoever. your mom locked the car before guiding you inside the house.

***

"i don't remember buying such a big hoodie for you, y/n." your mother pointed out as she helped you onto your bed, making sure your leg was aligned straight. she placed a blanket on top of you and tucked you in like a child.

it was kageyama's, "it was in my closet." you lied again. that was a bad habit of yours now.

"it looks comfy." your mother smiled, "you sleep well. even with your broken leg, you'll still be going to school tomorrow, okay?"

"alright."

she placed your pair of crutches against the wall next to you, then placed a water bottle down on your nightstand. her simple yet thoughtful actions brought a smile to your face.

"mom?"

"yes, y/n?"

"i know you've done a lot for me already, but can i ask you for one more thing?"

"of course?"

you inhaled softly before your next words,

"can you tell tooru that i love him? and that i also need my phone back?"

+*..*+