idol

+*..*+
three years ago.
kitagawa daiichi junior high.

you walked into the gym with your older brother, tooru oikawa, as you agreed to help with this week's volleyball practice. your brother was a genius setter; and was widely known for his astronomical setting abilities at just a young age. after all, he didn't earn the 'best setter award' for no reason!

tooru was a third year in junior high, and soon he'd be moving onto high school, where he said all 'the big kids' went. and as his little sister, you were so proud of him. he was your idol.

"hello, oikawa-senpai!" you heard the sound of a boy greet him as the two of you entered the gym proudly. he happily held a volleyball under his left arm, and looked as if he had already warmed up for the upcoming practice.

"hello." tooru gave the dark haired boy an unenthusiastic wave. you looked up at the unfamiliar boy with a bright smile on your face.

"who is he?" you whispered softly to your brother, in which he shook his head.

"don't worry about it, y/n-chan." tooru took your hand, dragging you over to the bench. using your freehand, you waved at the ravenette, in which he waved back.

for some reason, that unfamiliar boy had piqued your interest.

***

you sat in the corner of the gym, pokémon cards in your hand as you listened to the sound of tooru continuously serve volleyballs over the net. practice had already ended, but he had insisted on staying back to practice even more. eventually, after what seemed like the hundredth serve, he stopped to catch his breath.

at your age, you were probably too oblivious to even realize that he had been overworking himself that whole entire time.

you heard the sound of footsteps against the shiny gym floor, those of which were approaching tooru.

"oikawa-senpai, could you teach me how to serve?"

you recognized that voice. you looked up from your cards, seeing the same dark haired boy that had greeted tooru earlier. he held a volleyball with his two hands, a warm smile on his face.

there was a brief silence between the two before tooru finally snapped.

"get away from me!" you watched tooru raise his hand to hit the innocent boy. out of instinct, you jumped up from off of the floor, your pokémon cards scattering everywhere.

"tooru! stop it!" you cried, your high pitched voice screeching across the empty gym. you ran up to him and grabbed his arm, but it was too late.

the ravenette held his cheek, tears welling in his soft blue eyes as he let the volleyball drop down to the floor. tooru had slapped him.

your eyes did the same, tears slipping down your cheeks as you looked up at your brother. the same person you had looked up to your whole life.

he had no reaction on his face.

"why would you do that, tooru? how could you be so mean?!"

+*..*+