Chapter Thirty: End of the Line, Part Four

Felicity

We're on the road again.

We are using Jack's military truck to travel, since all of their other vehicles were rendered useless because of the EMP attack led by the extra-terrestrial beings. The headlights are off, as well as any source of light inside the vehicle. Jack is driving at a slow pace, using only the moonlight as his guide.

It's too dark to see anything, but I can hear Ian breathing softly beside me. Andre is sitting beside Jack at the front to act as his wingman.

Silence occupies every empty space in the vehicle. None of us wants to speak, to talk about the events that had transpired just before we left. The death of Jack's entire family, Edward's true identity, and... Pauline's betrayal.

She told us the reason why. According to her, a soldier gave her the tracking device during our encounter at the Malacanan Palace. The soldier told her that they have her father, and that they would kill him if she doesn't do as he says. She was also told that once all of us are captured, they would release her father unscathed.

Hindi ko alam kung dapat ba akong maawa sa kanya, pero mas nananaig ang galit sa puso ko. Bakit hindi na lang niya ipinaalam sa amin ang sinabi ng sundalo sa kanya? Gagawin naman namin ang lahat para matulungan siyang iligtas ang Papa niya. She was a part of our group, and never once have we left one of us behind.

But because of her betrayal, we decided to eliminate her from our circle. Iniwan namin siya sa bahay nina Jack. We can find our way to the Sanctuary without her help.

I don't know what to feel about it, though. Even with her betrayal, Pauline had saved our asses multiple times. I just can't decide if leaving her behind is the most justifiable thing to do.

When we told her about her decision, she didn't say anything. She didn't complain, or showed any hostile gesture. Instead, she nodded and accepted our decision with a calm expression, as if she knew that it would be better this way. That we would be safer without her.

Bago kami umalis, nilapitan niya ako. I was just standing by the window inside our room, gazing at the night sky. With a shaky voice, she called my name.

"Don't," I told her, not bothering to turn around. "Kung kukumbinsihin mo ko na isama ka, huwag. Our decision is final."

"Hindi tungkol diyan ang gusto kong sabihin sa'yo," tugon niya. Hindi ko pa rin siya pinansin. Ayokong may masabi akong hindi maganda, at ang hindi pagpansin sa kanya ang tanging paraan na alam ko para hindi ko magawa iyon.

Pagkatapos ng ilang minutong katahimikan, akala ko ay iniwanan na niya akong mag-isa. Pero nagulat ako nang makita ko pa rin siyang nakatayo sa pintuan paglingon ko.

"Felicity... Would you listen to me for one moment?" she pleaded.

"Ano pa bang dapat mong sabihin sa akin?" tanong ko. I tried to be calm as much as I could, but my voice betrayed me. "Malinaw na sa amin ang lahat. Hindi kami dapat magtiwala sa'yo."

She sighed, and for a moment I saw her usual guarded self. My heart lurched as I realized how much I adore her mysteriousness, even admiring how she manages to keep withholding information about herself without looking suspicious. But clearly, it was just one of the many tricks she used to deceive us.

"I told you," she said. "That's not what I want to talk about."

"Then what?" I snapped. "We're leaving soon. I don't have much time."

That's when I noticed the piece of paper she was holding.

"Ano 'yan?" tanong ko.

Ipinakita niya sa akin ang hawak niya. "I know you guys don't trust me anymore, but... I want you to have this."

Hindi ako kumilos upang abutin ang papel.

"Ano nga 'yan?" pag-uulit ko.

"A map. To help you find the Sanctuary."

I stared at the piece of paper in her hands. Iniisip ko kung dapat ko bang tanggapin ang ibinibigay niya. Paano kung isa na naman ito sa masasama niyang plano? What if instead of taking us to the Sanctuary, it will lead us to where our enemies reside?

She must've noticed my expression, because she started to explain.

"It doesn't have any tracking device, I swear," she clarified. "I just want to help you out... One last time."

I felt a sudden pain in my chest, as if I've been stabbed. Dahan-dahan akong lumapit kay Pauline at kinuha ang papel na hawak niya. Tumingin muna ako sa kanya bago ko ito binuksan.

It was a hand-drawn map, surprisingly detailed. Nakalagay dito kung ano ang mga dadaanan namin, at ang mga lugar na dapat naming iwasan. I didn't know that she has this kind of talent.

My expression softened as I lifted my gaze towards her.

"Alam ko na hindi na kayo nagtitiwala sa akin, pero I want you to trust me on this one." Huminga siya nang malalim bago magpatuloy. "I'm not tricking you this time. That's the easiest way to the Sanctuary."

Nanatili akong nakatitig sa kanya, iniisip kung dapat ko ba siyang pagkatiwalaan sa huling pagkakataon. Masyadong naging mapinsala ang mga kinalabasan ng pagtataksil niya sa amin, at ayoko nang maulit pa iyon.

Pero, sa isang banda, hindi ko rin maiwasan na maawa sa kanya. Matagal na rin kaming magkasama at napalapit na siya sa akin. Alam ko na ganoon rin ang nararamdaman ng iba pa naming mga kasama.

"Will you be okay?" I asked her, almost as a whisper.

She nodded, then she gave me a serene smile.

"I'll be fine," she said. "I was alone before you guys met me. I'll manage to be alone again."

I will never forget the look on her face as she watched us leave. It was not a look of defeat, or sorrow. It was happiness. Because I know, somehow, that she still believes that we can make it.

A sob reverberates through our vehicle, and I realize that it's coming at the front, where Andre is currently sitting.

Naramdaman ko ang paghawak ni Ian sa kamay ko. No matter how angry he is, I know that he is also worried about Pauline. She has nothing, aside from the gun that we gave her. We aren't cruel enough to leave her defenseless.

"Do you want to cry as well?" Ian asks me.

Umiling ako bilang sagot, kahit alam ko na hindi niya ako nakikita.

Hindi ko alam kung anong naghihintay sa amin pagdating namin sa Sanctuary. Hindi ko alam kung tatanggapin nila kami doon at bibigyan ng lugar kung saan kami pwedeng manatili. But we have to take a risk to find out.

Hinigpitan ko ang hawak ko kay Ian. He squeezes right back. I'm grateful for his presence. Somehow, he keeps my feet on the ground and my body from trembling uncontrollably.

"We'll be okay, right?" I hate how my voice sounds. It's like I'm desperate for his assurance.

I hear him taking a deep breath. "Yes. Everything will be--"

Hindi na niya natapos pa ang sasabihin niya. Dahil sa parehong pagkakataon, bigla na lang tumilapon ang military truck na sinasakyan namin.

A/N:

Aaaand.... We're done with Part II! Thank you so much for staying through the journey so far. I just want to clarify some things up, because I'm seeing some confusion over whether or not this will be the last chapter for the second book. Well, this isn't the last chapter. This is just the end of Part II. Saving Humanity is divided into three parts, and the third part is coming soon! it will have 15-20 chapters, depending on how the story will unfold. I'm super excited for you guys to read the upcoming chapters, because most of them will be action-packed (more action-packed than the first book). I really do hope to finish this book within this year, because I've been writing this since 2017 (LOL). Talk about being a lazy writer...

Anyway, thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate your comments and votes and messages. Keep 'em coming, okay? Also, stream folklore and evermore!