Chapter Forty-One: Trap

Holly

"Paano ka nakasisiguro na nasa secret basement nga nila kinulong si Jared?" tanong sa akin ni Raf nang magsimula ang shift namin. "We have a standard prison, you know."

"The President doesn't want me to see him, even for just a second. That means he imprisoned him somewhere that can't be discovered by someone else," sagot ko. "Hindi pa niya alam na natuklasan ko na rin ang secret basement."

"That's a good thing, right?" Raf exhales. "The only question is, how the fuck will be able to get Jared out? Sigurado akong may alarm system ang pinto ng bawat selda. If we did so much as force it open, soldiers will be chasing us within seconds."

I sigh. "I know. That's why we need to be on high-alert all the time. We need to figure out when there will be the least number of soldiers on duty. That's the perfect timing to execute our plan."

But we don't really have a plan. At least not as solid as we badly needed it to be. There are so many loopholes, so many ways that it could backfire in most horrifying ways. But we have no choice but to go through with it. Who knows what they'll do to Jared if we act too late.

It's a good thing that Raf and Ephraim are willing to help, even if it might cost them their lives. Hindi ko alam kung anong gagawin ko kung wala sila.

Biglang pumasok sa isip ko ang nangyari noong pumasok kaming dalawa ni Jared sa secret basement. The exact point when we opened the door that will lead us to the cells.

And we saw Kris trying to feed the two prisoners.

I know this might be a far shot, because since Jared and I got here, she has been Max's ally. But would it be possible to get help from Kris if we ask her? Based on her recent actions, I know that she hates the way Max treats her. But when all hell breaks loose, will she be brave enough to disobey him?

Masyado pang maaga para malaman ang sagot. Pero kung sakaling dumating sa pagkakataon na kakailanganin namin ng tulong, hindi ako magdadalawang-isip na lumapit sa kanya.

"Let's go down to the basement," Raf suddenly says, cutting my trail of thoughts.

I nod. "Iyan din ang gusto kong gawin ngayon. But... Will it be safe? Wala tayong magiging lookout."

Raf grins. "Ephraim is already waiting by the old classroom."

Sure enough, on our way to the classroom, I can already see Ephraim's silhouette waiting for us. Napangiti siya nang makita niya kaming papalapit.

"Hello, partners," bati niya sa amin. "Ready for another adventure?"

Nginitian siya pabalik ni Raf. "The usual, Ephraim."

Hindi ko rin mapigilan na mapangiti. Jared and I are really lucky to have these two as our friends. I hope we'll be able to keep in touch once all of this is over.

It will be over. Kapag nakatakas kami ni Jared dito, agad naming hahanapin ang Sanctuary para tumulong sa kanila na gumawa ng paraan kung paano matatalo ang mga extra-terrestrial beings. Naniniwala ako na hindi lang sila basta maghihintay na matunton sila ng mga kalaban at ubusin.

Humanity will fight back.

And I will make sure that I survive long enough to witness it.

Iniwan namin si Ephraim sa labas, at kaagad kaming pumasok ni Raf sa secret basement. It's the usual protocol--we wait until the soldiers pass before we go to the door that will take us to the cells. Then we open it without wasting any time.

We find ourselves facing five soldiers, their rifles pointed at us.

Napako kami ni Raf sa kinatatayuan namin. Nakita ko ang kamay niya na dahan-dahang naglakbay sa revolver na nakatago sa bewang niya.

"Don't you dare," Max warns him, and Raf's hand freezes.

A man steps out from behind the soldiers, and I involuntarily take a step back. He grins at us, a sinister glint in his eyes.

"I knew it," the President says, his voice triumphant. "When you did that performance in my office earlier, I know that you've figured this place out already."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. He's smarter than I anticipated. He completely saw through my false actions.

Sinenyasan niya ang mga sundalo, and within seconds, our weapons are taken from us and our hands bound behind our backs.

"You're an evil motherfucker," I tell the President. I try to spit in his face but he quickly dodges with a laugh.

"I'll take that as a compliment." He lets out a laugh again before opening two of the cell doors--completely adjacent to the cells where the two scientists are being imprisoned.

Itinulak ako ng isa sa mga sundalo sa selda na pinaka malapit sa main door. He gives me a nasty grin before slamming the door shut. Instantly, darkness envelops me. There's no other source of light except for the square opening at the door. I stand up and peek outside.

Nakita ko kung paano sinuntok ni Max si Raf sa tagiliran, bago niya ito itulak papasok sa kasunod kong selda. I hear the door slamming shut, and then Raf's voice saying: "I'll kill you. Better hope that I won't get out of here because I'll fucking kill you all."

"Papatayin muna kita bago ka makalabas dito," sagot ni Max habang tumatawa. He glances at the President, and the man gives him a nod of approval. Max smiles out of satisfaction.

He's nothing but a fucking dog, licking the President's shoes. I despise them both. I despise them with all of my heart.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm my boiling anger. I hope Ephraim's safe. Sana ay hindi siya nahuli ng mga tauhan ng Presidente. He isn't that important to him, so he'll likely be killed if he gets caught.

Please, let Ephraim survive.

Humarap ang Presidente sa limang sundalo. Then he starts giving out instructions.

"Not even a single soul should know about this," he starts, his voice commanding. "If I heard so much as a whisper about a secret basement from other people's mouths, I'm going to kill you all."

The soldiers respond in unison. "Sir. Yes, sir!"

"Now, wait outside the door and don't let anyone in."

Hindi na nag-aksaya pa ng panahon ang mga sundalo. Kaagad silang kumilos at isa-isang lumabas ng pinto. Napansin ko si Dr. Valdez na nakasilip rin mula sa kanyang selda. Our eyes meet for a brief moment.

Tiningnan ko ang kasunod niyang selda, at nakita ko na nakasilip rin si Dr. Bartolome. It's the first time I'm seeing his face, and he looks younger than I thought he would be.

The President walks back and forth, smiling at each of us. I hear Raf shout a string of curses at him, but the President just laughs.

"You're going to pay for this," Jared says. I see him peeking out from the cell next to Dr. Bartolome's. I can't see his entire face from where I'm located, but his eyes seem to be unscathed.

My gaze travels to the cell next to him, and I'm surprised to see another pair of eyes peeking from inside it. My own eyes widen as I realize who they belong.

"Felicity?" I exclaim. Felicity's eyes meet mine, and I hear her saying my name.

The President notices our exchange.

"Oo nga pala, matagal na nga pala kayong hindi nagkikita-kita," wika niya. "Since everyone is present and wide awake, I'm going to tell you a story. Alam na siguro ito ng mga traydor kong scientists, but for the sake of the young ones here, I will still tell it from the start."

Everyone? Does that mean... Ian, Andre and Pauline are also here?

Napatingin ako kay Dr. Valdez. Alam kaya niya na nandito rin ang anak niya?

The President continues to speak, and hearing his loud voice makes my blood boil even harder.

"This is a story about the downfall of humanity... By the hands of the extra-terrestrial beings." He looks at each of us, and as he does so, he lets out a chuckle. "Are you guys ready to listen?"