Chapter Forty-Five: Time to Wake Up

Holly

"You bitch," Max says, his teeth gritted. He's looking at Kris with such burning hatred that I'm almost surprised that Kris hasn't turned into ashes yet. "Kaya pala pinipilit mo akong uminom ng maraming alak kanina, kasi may pinaplano ka."

Kris's back is facing me, so I can't see her reflection. But I can see how her hands are trembling. With fear or anger... I don't know. Facing someone that scares and angers you at the same time is hard, especially if it's someone that you thought you could trust.

He is her weakness, a hindrance for her to take the right path. I'm so glad that she's finally seeing things clearly now, that Max is nothing more than an asshole who only thinks about himself.

"Pabayaan mo na kami, Max," Kris says. Her voice is shaking slightly, but I can hear the underlying tone of defiance there. Somehow it makes my heart swell even further. "You can't prevent us from escaping."

"Oh, yeah?" Max grins. He gestures to us, as if we are just some animals blocking his way. "With that? A ragtag team of teenagers?" He laughs.

I want to punch him in the face. I want to wipe off that nasty grin using my fists. I want to bash his head in until I see what's inside of it.

He leans in to one of the guards, casually instructing him to do something that we can't hear. He looks so relaxed, so into his domain that I immediately realize that it is his way of mocking us. He wants us to see that he isn't afraid of us, that to him, we're nothing more than a nuisance.

I'd like to prove him wrong.

The soldier nods, then walks briskly away from us.

Max notices me looking, and he flashes me a grin.

"Oh, don't worry about him," he says in a mocking tone. "Inutusan ko lang siya na ipaalam sa iba pang mga sundalo na nakatakas ang mga preso."

Less than five minutes into the plan, and everything is already going down the hill.

"Why are you doing this, Max?" tanong ko sa kanya.

He laughs. "Dahil ito ang inutos sa akin ng Presidente? Baka nakakalimutan n'yo, siya ang nagtayo ng lugar na 'to. You were safe for how many weeks, because of him. And this is how you'll repay his kindness?"

He spits on the ground, a real demonstration of his disgust.

Alam ko na alam na niya ang tungkol sa alyansa ng Presidente sa mga extra-terrestrial beings. Alam ko na alam niya na rin na malaki ang papel na ginampanan ng Presidente sa gulong nangyayari ngayon. He gave us, his own countrymen, away so that he could achieve his ambitions.

Yet, there are some people who still choose to follow him, despite everything that he had done. They chose to remain blinded by the President's evil actions and justify them with the good ones. If you're going to ask me if that's loyalty, then my answer is a big no. That's stupidity.

"He was never kind," I spit back at Max. My blood is starting to boil because of anger. "He caused all of this. Kung hindi siya nakipag-alyansa sa mga aliens, edi hindi na sana kailangan pang gumawa ng lugar na kagaya nito."

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and when I turn around I see Jared shaking his head at me. Dahil sa galit ko, hindi ko napansin na nakadalawang hakbang na pala ako papunta kay Max. His rifle is aimed at me now, as well as the rifles of the other soldiers.

I take a deep breath to calm myself. They are clearly the winning side here. Without any weapons, we won't be able to defeat them. We have to think of something that can distract the other soldiers somehow.