Chapter Seventeen: Mr. Know-It-All

Ian

"Christian David Magsaysay, please report to the Principal's Office immediately."

As soon as I heard my name being called out on the speakers surrounding our school gymnasium, I gathered my things and quickly walked out of the damn place.

I always hated physical activities. The idea of straining my muscles and exhausting my body to chase a damn ball always seemed unnecessary to me. I'd rather hole up in a classroom and read books.

Before I completely stepped out of the gymnasium, Coach Angeles patted me on the back.

"Congratulations," he said with a smile. "You deserved it."

Deserved what, exactly? I wanted to ask him at that moment but I already have a hunch as to why the Principal wanted me in his office immediately. Coach Angeles congratulating me only solidified my hunch.

I'm the valedictorian of our batch.

This was not a surprise, of course. Everyone knows that I'm the brightest student this school ever had. I aced every tests, every trials that they threw at my feet. Hell, I even received letters from several universities here in the Philippines and abroad, asking me—no, begging me to study in their Institutions.

Knowledge is the only treasure that I have. I never met my parents. They left me in front of a church like a discarded doll. I was raised by priests and nuns who treated me like I was their own child. I should be grateful, I know. But I can't help but feel angry at the world for giving me a life like this.

I gave Coach Angeles a smile before I stepped out of the gymnasium. The morning sunlight greeted me with its warm rays, caressing my face like a mother would a child. There were students milling about, some were pointedly ignoring me. I don't care, though. I don't need their help to shape my own future.

I never had any friends. My classmates loathed me for the mere fact that I am smarter than the rest of them. I hear them snicker everytime I raise my hand to answer a teacher's question. I see their stares full of hatred whenever I receive praises and certificates because of my academic excellence.

They don't see me as a potential friend. For them, I'm just nothing but an insufferable know-it-all.

It was fine with me. My situation was perfect, actually. At least I don't have to deal with the drama that is high school.

After a few turns, I finally made it to the Principal's Office. Principal Romero greeted me, did some speech about the importance of education, and then, finally, he broke the news.

I knew it. I am valedictorian.

"We have seen your hardships and your determination to learn," Principal Romero continued. He looked like a proud father, complete with tears brimming at the corner of his eyes. "Thus, I am proudly giving you the highest academic award that you can receive in this school."

I nodded along, not bothering to pretend to be surprised. I don't have to pretend to look happy, though. After all, I did everything that I could to achieve this.

After the Principal's Oscar-worthy speech, he finally let me go. He also told me that I could take the rest of the day to do things I want to do, and that was all I could ever ask for. I don't want to go back to the gymnasium anymore.

As I walked towards my favorite place in the entire campus, I bumped into the most beautiful girl in the entire universe.

Her long black hair was reflecting the sunlight, her tanned skin gleaming and her eyes were never leaving mine.