Chapter Forty-Four: The Great Escape

Holly

Two weeks had already passed since the President locked us up.

Two weeks of nothing but darkness and silence and endless thinking of possible things that could happen.

Two weeks of trying to come up with a plan to get the hell out of here.

Kahit hindi namin nakikita ang isa't-isa, pinilit pa rin namin na gumawa ng paraan para maayos na mag-usap. Ilang beses kaming nagkaroon ng discussions tungkol sa mga posibleng plano na pwede naming mabuo para makatakas kami.

Pero ni isa sa mga planong iyon, walang kasiguraduhan na lahat kami ay makakalabas ng buhay.

So we're still stuck here, without any solid way to get out.

Since we are imprisoned in a secret location, we aren't allowed to have visitors. Except for Max, who never fails to taunt us every time he pays us a visit. If there is no metal door separating us, I would've punched him in the face.

And Kris, who continues to bring us food. Hindi ko alam kung siya lang ang naatasang magdala ng pagkain sa amin, o ginagawa niya iyon lingid sa kaalaman ni Max. Ilang beses na akong nagtangka na kausapin siya, pero hindi niya sinasagot ang mga tanong ko.

Hindi ko na alam kung anong gagawin namin. The darkness and the silence is taking a toll on our minds, making us jumpy and agitated. Since we can't tell what time of the day it is, our sleeping schedule has been messed up. Hindi ko nga matandaan kung kailan ako huling nagkaroon ng maayos na tulog.

Hindi na kami masyadong nag-uusap. It feels as though we are trapped inside our minds, desperately going back to the old times where there are no extra-terrestrial beings. Where all of the people are still awake, and are free to do whatever the hell they want.

I miss those time.

Naging pamilyar na sa akin ang malamig na sahig at mga pader ng selda ko. They did not provide us a pillow or a blanket, so sleeping is agonizing. Most of the time, the floor is so cold that I have no choice but to stand up. I can't rest my body against the walls as well, because they are as cold as the floor.

Sigurado akong parehas kami ng nararanasan ng mga kasama ko. Maging si Raf na madalas mag-ingay ay tahimik. It seems that solitary is slowly eating him up, dimming his light and rendering him useless just like the rest of us.

Hindi na kami muli pang binisita ng Presidente. I wonder what that jerk is doing right now. Is he talking to the extra-terrestrial beings, plotting their next move? Or is he in front of his office window, looking down at the people that he continues to fool?

Or, perhaps... He's lying in his bath tub with his throat slashed, blood pooling beneath him?

I hope it's the last one. I really do.

*****

After another week in prison, a friend visits us.

Napatayo ako nang bumukas ang pinto sa hallway, kasabay ng boses ni Kris.

"Five minutes."

Nang sumilip ako sa butas ng pinto, nakita ko si Ephraim na nakatayo at direktang nakaharap sa akin.

"Holly," he exclaims in delight. Kaagad siyang lumapit sa akin at hinawakan ang kamay ko na pilit kong inilalabas sa butas. "Ayos ka lang ba? Pinapakain ka ba nila nang maayos?"

Hindi ako kaagad nakasagot dahil sa labis na tuwa. I've been worrying about his safety since we got caught, and it's so good to see him alive and well. Somehow, a tiny portion of the weight in my chest has been lifted.

Raf's voice drifts to us from the next cell, calling Ephraim's name. It's my first time to hear his voice again after a few days. I can tell that it has gone hoarse from disuse, but nevertheless it feels good to hear him speak again.

After all, I'm pretty sure my voice would be in the same state, too.

Nakita ko na nakatingin si Felicity kay Ephraim. Hindi ko mabasa kung ano ang emosyon niya, pero alam ko na gusto niyang malaman kung sino ang bisita na dumating.

"He's Ephraim," I say, and her eyes turn to look at me. "Don't worry, he's a friend."

Ngumiti lang siya bilang sagot. Tumingin naman si Ephraim sa kanya.

"You must be Felicity. I've heard a lot of good things about you."

Mas lumapad nang kaunti ang ngiti ni Felicity dahil doon.

Then Jared speaks up. The first thing that comes out of his mouth is a question.

"Where's Mom?"

Napatingin si Ephraim sa direksyon niya. He's located at the cell next to Raf, so he's also out of my line of vision. I badly want to see him, to check if his wounds have already healed. Hearing his voice isn't simply enough to assess his condition.

Ephraim answers his question with a smile. "Okay lang siya, Jared. She knows that you're here, and she's sad because she can't visit. Naniniwala siya na hindi ikaw ang pumatay kay Kenneth."

Naging seryoso ang ekspresyon ni Ephraim.

"Naniniwala rin ako na wala kang kasalanan. Pati sina James at Sandy. At ang iba pang mga kasapi ng Institute na nakita kung ano ang tunay mong pagkatao."

Hindi sumagot si Jared. Tahimik ang buong hallway, at maging ang mga paghinga namin ay hindi rin maririnig. Napansin ko na nakasilip sina Dr. Valdez at Dr. Bartolome, nakikinig rin sa aming usapan.

"It's chaotic out there," Ephraim continues. "Some of the members of the Institute are refusing to do their tasks, unless the President decides to release both of you." He looks at me for a second before turning his attention to Jared.

The news that Ephraim brought caught me off-guard. I did not expect that our imprisonment would cause some of the members of the Institute to protest.

I haven't been interacting with people unless it's important, but Jared does. When I asked him about it one time, he told me that it's important to interact as much as possible, to build a trust system. He told me that it would be beneficial to us eventually. He turned out to be right.

Typical Jared, always two steps ahead.

"Is there any way that we could convince the people about what the real deal is?" Ian interjects. Like us, his voice is hoarse. He clears his throat a few times before continuing. "I mean, they deserved to know what the President is doing."

"He's right," I agree. Then I look at Ephraim. "Do you think we could make it possible to spread the news little by little, to create doubt amongst the members of the Institute?"

That's a solid plan right there. By doing it slowly, it creates an atmosphere of distrust against the President and his motives. Ephraim knows enough about the President's alliance with the extra-terrestrial beings, since I told him and Raf about it before we got caught. I know that he'll be able to pull this off.

He nods without hesitations. "I'll do my best."

There's one question that's bothering me, though. If some of the members are protesting for us, then how does it feel for the person who lost someone?

"Kumusta si Kenji?" tanong ko.

Napatingin sa akin si Ephraim. There's sadness in his eyes, but beneath it, I can see something. It's too early to speculate, but...

Ephraim nods at me. "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

As soon as the last words leave Ephraim's mouth, the hallway door bursts open and Kenji walks in.