Chapter Three: Change is Inevitable

Holly

I was not a good child.

I pushed one of my classmates off a swing set because he wouldn't let me have my turn. I'm also one of those bullies at my school who picks on weaker kids.

Sometimes, I did things just for fun. I once set my neighbor's cat on fire just to see how it will react while it is engulfed in scorching flames. I even took a picture of it using my Dad's old camera.

Whenever a relative visits us, I always make sure that they would not forget me. Not because I did something good for them, but because of some horrible stunt that I had orchestrated.

I had thrown an aunt's phone in our toilet bowl because I remember seeing her name multiple times in my Dad's messages. I thought at first that she was his new girlfriend, so I figured I should do something about it. I don't want any other women catching my Dad's attention aside from my Mom.

I am not a good teenager.

Trouble-maker, they call me. The things I've been doing when I was a child, it got worse.

I stopped studying. My Mom thought that I was going to school everyday, but little did they know, I'm just at my friend's house, doing something a teenager isn't allowed to.

I'm also a pro at sneaking out of the house at night to go to nightclubs. I even tried to do drugs, once. I was caught doing it, and my Mom had to get me out of the police station with all of the money that she have in her pocket.

I am not a good sister.

I was always mean to Madison. I didn't want to have a little sister, back then. I just wanted the attention for myself. But now... Now I miss her so much. I'd do anything to be with her again. I just want everything to go back to normal. Or as normal as they can be.

My Dad told me once that anyone can change, no matter how bad they can be. We should always forgive other people and give them a chance to change for the better. He told me this hours before he died.

I just graduated from elementary school when that happened. My Dad was on his way home after a day of work, when a gang of teenagers decided to make fun of him. They stabbed him in the stomach fifteen times, took all of his belongings, before leaving him alone on a dark alley, bathing in his own blood.

As soon as we saw my Dad's mutilated body, my Mom lost it. She cried so hard, deep sobs shaking her own body, while shouting the word why.

Why did you leave us? Why didn't you fight back? Why didn't you asked for help? Why why why why why

It sucks, losing my Dad like that. It was like a huge, sudden wave at the beach, wiping everything away so fast and so abrupt that you don't have time to run from it.

It hurts.

So much.

After that, she did her best to raise me and Madison single-handedly. She got multiple jobs, distracting herself from the deep sorrow of losing her beloved husband. He was her first love, and I know that he'll be her last.

I admire my Mom because of that. But still, because of trying so hard to distract herself, she didn't have enough time to take care of us anymore. I know that it's unfair to complain when she's doing everything that she can to feed me and my little sister but... Is it wrong to demand more of that so-called quality time with her? Sometimes it feels like I have lost her, too.

Because of that, my behavior got worst.

I was not a good person back then, and I'm certainly not a good person now. I don't even know why I teamed up with a bunch of teenagers on a mission to save the entire humanity. I mean... What's the point? If it's really true that we're dealing with some...extra-terrestrial beings, then we'll die before even making a move against them. They are practically holding us on our necks right now because of the virus that they unleashed on the whole world.

I don't know why I'm doing this, but one thing's for sure.

I won't let myself die without doing anything.

Maybe my Dad was right. Maybe people do change.

*****

Finally! Sorry for the long wait. I was just so freaking busy these past few days that I don't have time to type. Also, it's really hard to create a chapter using Holly's perspective because you know, she's Holly and she's a freaking badass. Don't worry, not all of her chapters will be in full English. Weird naman masyado kung bigla na lang siyang naging Englishera sa second book, diba?

Sooooo now that you've got a taste of what's going on inside Holly's head, what do you guys think? Leave your comments!

And, guys, expect a loooong wait before I post another chapter. I'm really, really sorry. I'll make it up to you, I promise.

Thank you for not leaving Jared and the gang!

-Dave