Chapter Forty-Four: The Great Escape, Part Three

Holly

I wake up, feeling energized for the first time since we were imprisoned.

I stand up, taking the time to relieve myself using a small metal bucket at the corner of my cell. It has a lid to prevent the smell from coming out. It is dehumanizing, but even thinking about the way we are currently being treated won't spoil the burning fire inside my chest.

Hope.

There's something different today. The air is warmer, the smell less putrid. The usual deafening silence feels relaxing. It puts me in such a good mood that when I take a peek at the window in my door and see Felicity looking right at me, I offer her a wide smile.

She smiles back.

Siguro dahil ito sa mga sinabi ni Kenji at Ephraim noong bumisita sila sa amin. Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras na ang nakakalipas simula nang umalis sila. Pero hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin naaalis sa akin ang dinala nilang magandang balita.

We have a huge chance of getting out of here.

"I wish Pauline's here."

Natigilan ako dahil sa nagsalita. Based on Felicityä's expression, she's shocked, too.

Andre continues. "She would be delighted, that's for sure. Kahit nakakulong tayo dito, ayos lang sa kanya kasi nandito rin ang Dad niya."

No one says anything. There is simply not a single word to comfort someone grieving.

Natatakot akong tumingin sa selda ni Dr. Valdez. Hindi ko alam kung nakasilip siya, at kung anong ekspresyon ang kasalukuyang nakatatak sa mukha niya. I know that he took Pauline's death in stride, but it doesn't mean that he's not grieving.

We haven't mentioned Pauline's name since we learned of her death. All of us are keeping our emotions in check, because we are certain that a single mention of her name would surge up our sadness.

Felicity's in tears again. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi ko pa rin siya tinatanong kung anong eksaktong nangyari noong mamatay si Pauline. That was the only part that they left out when they told us about their journey outside the Institute. I never asked them about it, because I figured that it's too soon for that.

The only thing I know is that Pauline saved Ian. From what, I have no idea.

"Pauline deserves to be free, too," Andre says with a deep breath. "She would've been a great help for our upcoming great escape."

Gusto ko siyang patigilin sa pagsasalita. I can see how his words affect Felicity. But at the same time, I understand where he's coming from. Alam naman naming lahat na sa umpisa pa lang, may pagtingin na siya kay Pauline. Kung may labis mang nasasaktan dito bukod kay Dr. Valdez, siya iyon.

Kaya hinayaan ko na lang siya.

It seems that most of us are thinking the same thing, because no one stops him as he starts to recall our memories with Pauline. How Jared punched her in the face when we first met her, how we were amazed when we saw her combat skills. How she explained to us the first information that we obtained about the extra-terrestrial beings.

How she saved all of us, multiple times.

She was sometimes problematic and annoying, that's for sure. I was often in a fight with her. But even I have to admit that she was useful, and that she was a part of this group as much as I'm a part of it.

She left a huge hole, one that nothing can fill up.

Naupo ako at sinandal ang ulo ko sa pader. Pagkatapos ay ipinikit ko ang mga mata ko.