Chapter One: The Institute

Jared

Back when I was a little boy, I always dreamed about being a hero.

I was a big fan of various superhero movies. I still am, to be honest. The thought of having superpowers, to be able to save the world is just so damn exciting. I always want to do things for the greater good. I mean... To be loved and adored by all of humanity is pretty much everyone's dream.

But now, after I've read those documents about the conspiracy between the aliens and our own government, I don't know if I want to be a hero anymore. If our own leaders aren't capable of defending their people, if they are willing to sacrifice everyone for their own selfish reasons, then why would anyone bother? Why would I bother?

Maybe we deserved all of the bad things that are happening right now. Maybe the humanity is destined to perish. Maybe... We aren't worth saving.

Once, when I was in third grade, I punched someone in the face because he kept calling me names. Terrible, and God-awful names. My parents got called in the principal's office because of what I did. As soon as we got home, my Dad pulled me inside my room and started to tell me something about forgiving. I can't remember the exact words... But I think it goes like this:

"Even if a person did something bad to you, always try to forgive him. Everyone deserves a second chance. Even the most evil person can change for the better, under the right circumstances."

He made me promise to keep that in mind, that whenever someone wrongs me, I have to repeat the words inside my head. You know... Like a mantra of some sorts. I did, for a couple of years after that. But when I went to high school, I started to become a person that I hadn't thought I would become.

A bully.

But it doesn't matter now, does it? The world's already ending, anyway.

Besides, my body's probably already rotting somewhere. All of this, all that I'm thinking about right now, are just afterthoughts.

Just some mere echoes of who I once was.

*****

The light shining through my eyes instantly wakes me up.

I sit up, groaning in pain because of the sudden movement. Where the hell am I? What happened?

I feel a hand at my shoulders, its tight grip forcing me to open my eyes.

The first thing that I see is a young man, probably in his mid-20s, wearing a white, spotless scrub suit and face mask.

"Woah. Relax. Hindi kita sasaktan," the man says, removing the mask from his face. He offers me a wide grin.

I swallow the lump in my throat. "Nasaan ako?" tanong ko sa kanya. "Anong nangyari sa akin?"

It all comes rushing back at me then, so strong and unexpected that I thought my head would explode.

Me and my companions finding the documents at the Malacañan Palace, the soldiers attacking us, and... Holly and me getting captured.

Shit.

I look at my surroundings, frantically taking it all. The fluorescent light, the blue-painted walls, even the complete alphabet plastered at the top of a blackboard. I'm in a classroom. An elementary classroom.

What the hell am I doing here?

"Holly," sabi ko doon sa lalaki. "Where is she?"

At first, he looks at me as if I'm crazy, and then realization dawns on him. "Oh. 'Yung babaeng kasama mo?"