Chapter Forty-Five: Time to Wake Up, Part Two

Holly

We all watch as Max sinks to the floor, his hand covering the hole in his neck that Kris had created.

Blood spurts between his fingers, red and thick and unending. His eyes roll up in his head and he starts convulsing. Kris watches the scene unfold without so much as a flinch. She's still holding the knife she had used, her knuckles turning white.

Tahimik ang buong paligid. Walang ni isa sa amin ang nagsasalita. Ang tanging ingay lamang ay nanggagaling sa naghihingalong si Max na hanggang ngayon ay kumakapit pa rin sa katiting na buhay na natitira sa kanya.

His neck pulses blood, making the floor sticky and slippery. The end of the liquid touches my boots but I make no move. I've seen death, maybe more than what is necessary, but this has to be the most satisfying of them all.

After a few moments, Max finally stops moving. He lets out one last sigh before his eyes become unfocused.

"Let's get out of here," Ian's commanding voice shatters the silence. He's looking at the people who had just arrived, his eyes shining with suspicion.

Napansin naman ito ng babae. "Alam ko na hindi ninyo kami naaalala, pero--"

"I remember you." Napatingin ako kay Jared. He's looking straight at the newcomers, his eyes unflinching. Behind it is the unmistakable light of hope. "You're Bea and Gerald."

Natigilan ako at mabilis na ibinalik ang tingin ko sa mga bagong dating. They're Bea and Gerald? The ones who helped us escape when we first got captured by the extra-terrestrial beings?

Bea lets out a shadow of a smile before turning to her companion. "Kailangan na nating sabihin sa kanila ang lahat." Pagkatapos ay tumingin siya kay Max. "This motherfucker already called for backup. They'll be here anytime soon."

Tumingin sa amin si Gerald. When he starts to speak, I'm a little bit surprised. His voice is not what I was expecting, with the way he fought earlier. He sounds so...soft. Feminine. Not that I'm saying that femininity has something to do with your strength. It's just that...I'm surprised.

"There's an antidote to the virus." As soon as the words leave his mouth, my own hangs open.

An antidote?

He continues. "Like the original virus, it is also airborne. Once it's released, everyone in the entire country will start to wake up."

"And where is that antidote located?" asks Jared.

"Right below our feet."

Hindi ako makapaniwala. All this time, napakalapit lang pala namin sa solusyon na maaaring tumapos ng lahat ng ito.

"Wait, something's not right," Ian suddenly speaks up, his face contorted in confusion. "You said...the entire country. How about the rest of the world? Won't they be affected by the antidote?"

"They won't," biglang sagot ni Dr. Valdez. "Masyadong malawak ang buong mundo para makapag-travel ang antidote via air. It would even take days just for it to reach every part of our country."

Ian is not satisfied. "So, you're saying that the sleeping virus itself is stronger than the antidote, at least in terms of range?"

"No." Umiling-iling si Dr. Valdez. "You don't get it. They built different stations for each country all over the world, each containing the adequate amount of virus to cover the said country. Once they received the signal, they let it all out at once."